1. eleventh hour

"I am surrendering
To the gravity and the unknown
Catch me, heal me
Lift me back up to the sun
Help me survive the bottom."
Maynard J. Keenan, Gravity

Sunset painted in dark gold the clouds scattered over the woods

Sunset painted in dark gold the clouds scattered over the woods. In the fading light, the cold crept under the trees like an insidious cloak, foretelling a bitter frost to come down on the forest with the thickening shadows. Not a nice night to be out in the wild, especially knowing the subjects were all warm and comfy, but Brock didn't intend to let the situation go on any longer.

He zipped up his jacket under the structural tent, set by the only road leading to the old sawmill turned into a compound, a hundred yards away from the main access. By his side, Russell studied a satellite map of the place.

Around them, Allen and a couple more worked on establishing secure and steady communications with Portland and Boston. A few Tac agents set their armory, and three paramedics readied a small infirmary. State Tacs moved all over, while their leader conferenced with the FBI Tac leader in low voices right outside the tent.

Both men joined Brock and Russell before the map, reporting their teams were ready to move. Brock pointed at the map. It showed a fifty-acre area closed with high wired fences. Only a tenth of it was in the open, on a plane full of old stumps; the rest of it spread to the north into the forest. There were three buildings in the open area: a large two-story cottage; a long, low building originally meant to store planks--now used as a garage; and what looked like a barn, although it seemed to have been adapted as some kind of barrack.

"Agent Coleman, we're on," said Allen.

Russell left Brock instructing the officers and approached the board table covered with computers. Tanya smiled at him from one of the screens.

"Hey, there, T. D'you copy us now?"

"Loud and clear, for all our distinguished audience."

He scoffed, nodding. "We're about to move. D'you have the individual feeds as well?"

"Yep, but I can only manage half of them at the same time on live stream, so I'll be swapping over when they're on the move."

Russell noticed all the Tac agents scattered around in full gear started gathering a few yards away from the tent. Brock joined him then and nodded hi at Tanya.

"They're out to surround the compound," he said in his most calm, controlled tone. "We'll breach as soon as they're in position."

Back in Boston, Cassidy stepped closer to Tanya and leaned in to her computer. "You sure they're no more than a dozen men?"

"Only two vehicles in the premises," Russell replied. "And our snipers saw ten different men. We've been watching the place for two days around the clock and nobody else came in or out since we got here."

"Three more Tac teams are on the way to Northern Maine airport as we speak," said Cooper. "They'll be in Portage Lake within two hours."

"Agent Coltrane is waiting for them to bring them here," said Brock.

"Good luck, then," said Cassidy. "We'll be watching."

Brock only nodded and stepped away from the board table. And in Boston, for some reason, Gillian felt her stomach twitch when he disappeared from the screen. As if it was the last time she'd see him. Something like a bad feeling about this whole operation. She knew it was mostly because she and her team were not there to make sure things worked out as they should. Which was just a delusion. Just like Cassidy told her, their presence wouldn't change anything. But still...

Helen came in with a tray full of steamy mugs and offered her one. She glanced at Cooper's back before meeting the woman's eyes.

"She wasn't happy about it, but she accepted the tea," Helen whispered.

Gillian flashed a quick, tight smile and took one of the mugs.

Cooper was a step behind Tanya like a soldier. Well, like a sitting soldier, since Gillian, Cassidy and Helen wouldn't allow her to stay standing, and sitting down was the only way Cooper was able to get rid of them. She'd moved her chair there, almost breathing on Tanya's neck, to keep her back turned to the rest of them, so she didn't have to see their watchful, concerned looks at her every time she as much as moved a finger.

Gillian crossed the office to join the team around her desk and Hank's.

"We should be there," said Fred, keeping his voice low.

She arched her eyebrows. She agreed, but there was nothing she could do about it.

Ron nodded to the lockers at the end of the office. "Our bags are there and ready, in case something goes wrong."

"It's an eight-hour drive from here," Hank replied. "If 'something goes wrong', we'd get there too late for anything."

"Could you just shut up?" Aldana growled.

Gillian rested against themodular by Fred, who kept his arms folded and his eyes fixed on the twoplasmas. She knew they felt just like her about it—they were not used to beingaway from the action, forced to watch others do what they liked to do.