15. ladies night

"He tried to escape?" asked Aldana, surprised

"Or force the guards to beat'im hard enough to stay at the infirmary in Warren," said Gillian.

Aldana whistled. "Those guys must be something, for that jerk to go so far not to be marked as a traitor."

"And what did Russ do?"

"They took'im to a hospital in Portland, where he's cuffed to his bed, with two suits outside his door." Tanya turned her computer around for them to see the screen.

It showed a Portland news blog. Aldana and Gillian moved aside their burritos to lean in and take a better look at it. There was a picture of Russell in his FBI jacket, talking to the press right by the ambulance. The headlines read: "Informer on hate crimes attacked by white inmates."

"Nice touch!"

"Please, that's too much information."

"Yuck..."

Aldana just huffed. She knew that getting more annoyed would only bring on more teases.

"Okay, so it's on the news. Now what?" asked Gillian.

"Not on any news," Tanya replied. "Today, this and Sergeant Simon's death are only on internet media. Tomorrow they'll be on TV. And they will only make it to the newspapers on Friday."

The other two frowned and Tanya showed them a map of northern Maine, pointing at the different areas as she spoke.

"So here's where Sergeant Simon met his fate, near Portage Lake, okay? Now he's been seen taking this road here."

"The one into the Northern Woods?"

"Yep."

"That reads Fish River Lake. Where you were looking for accommodation for them?"

"Yep. And I found it here, northeast of the lake. Three cozy cabins. Sorry, Al, but they're sleeping together the whole weekend."

"You kinky perv."

"There are four female agents from Portland at the other cabins..."

"Leave'im with Brockner."

"Thought so."

"Well?" said Gillian.

"Well, the Northern Woods are huge," replied Tanya. "Few good roads, no way to canvass this whole lotta land without any clue or direction."

"So...?"

"So Agent Brockner thought of this trick to find out at least in which area they're based." Tanya marked a circle on the map. "This is the area with internet access." She marked a larger area. "And this is the area with TV access. The rest of it is mostly wild virgin territory, only visited by timber crews and hunters."

Aldana ducked her head, expecting the end of the explanation.

Gillian clicked her tongue. She wondered if anyone else would've ever thought about using the news to figure out where the subjects hid. "Frigging brilliant!"

Tanya nodded, grinning. "Right?"

Gillian turned to Aldana. "They're gonna wait for the subjects to lash out at the news. The longer they take, the deeper into the woods they live."

"Unless one of them goes to town and access the internet, or watches the news at a diner," Aldana replied.

"Why d'you think they set up shop upstate?" asked Tanya, almost taking offense at the objection.

"They're already canvassing the area anyway," said Gillian.

"Tonight they're keeping an eye on the roads in and out of the lake area. Ashland police have checkpoints at other secondary roads coming out of the woods. And there's an agent at Ashland's hospital, to see if somebody shows up to claim the Sergeant's body. Tomorrow morning, they're gonna start knocking on every door they can find, starting at the Fish River Lake area and moving west."

"Because the road the Sergeant used leads there, so chances are they're based there."

"Exactly. They're gonna ask if anybody knows this poor unidentified guy who died today in a car crash. My task is finding on satellite as many timber mills and camps as I can."

Aldana narrowed her eyes, nodding slowly.

Gillian pursed her lips. Stupid genius, he'd really thought of everything, for a change. "Brockner thinks they may have a compound disguised as a timber mill."

"Yep."

Dammit. She would've loved to work this case with him. At least she'd be on the loop, and able to make sure he got anything he needed for his search.

"And what are they gonna do, if they find these guys but they don't lash out?" asked Aldana.

"Agent Brockner wants to locate them and set a watch on the place."

"If they find the right place, they won't need to wait for long," said Gillian. "These guys will have or do something Brockner can use as an excuse to get a search order."

"He already has a motive. The dead guy's rifle matched the model the other three smuggled."

Of course he did. Being so close to the border, that alone would get him the order. Especially if they could also connect the place to the attacks. No judge would overlook such smoking guns.

"So that's why he requested the Tac teams," said Aldana.

Tanya frowned. "You just lost me."

"You cannot expect these murderous skinheads to welcome feds into their land," replied Aldana.

"They're gonna come out with all they have," said Gillian.

"Oh, boy... But Russell and Agent Brockner think they're like, I don't know, thirty or more!"

"Maybe not all of them are there right now. That's why Brockner wants to set a watch. To find out their numbers before trying anything."

Aldana looked up at Gillian. "We should be there. You know Ron and Fred can figure that out in under an hour."

Gillian sighed. "Yeah, I know. But all the eyes are on Maine right now, so Cassidy wants us to keep Massachusetts in check. At least until Cooper's back."

"Great." grunted Aldana.