"Do I know you?" He tilts his head as he studies my face. I sigh, already knowing where he probably knows me from. 

"I'm sure you do," I look down at the floor. "Does Hannah McCartney ring a bell?"

"Oh yeah of course," he nods his head and I look up at him. He doesn't look surprised at all that he's talking to the world's most suicidal girl. He doesn't look like he's judging me at all right now. "I'd shake your hand, but my arms are kind of full. I'm Scott Rogers, you probably know me too."

"Oh yeah," as soon as I hear his last name I know who I'm talking to. Scott Rogers, very rich parents who own several colleges and corporations across the state. Now that I look at him, I have to wonder how I didn't recognize him. "Weird how rich kids just seem to gravitate toward each other, huh?"

"Yeah," he laughs looking down at the stack of books in his hands before looking back up at me. "I'm actually here with, Abby, my fiance. I'm her personal grocery basket basket for today, hence why I'm carrying around all these books."

"That's sweet," I nod and he gives a nod back. "I'm just waiting for my friend to buy some new book that she's been wanting to get forever."

"That's nice, what boo-"

"Scott," we both look over to see a woman approaching us with a very pissed off look on her face. "Some fucking girl grabbed the last copy of the book before I could get it. Now I'm going to have to order it online and wait forever for it to be shipped to us."

"Babe," I watch Scott take a step toward Abby and lay his head on her shoulder. I shift awkwardly, feeling like I'm witnessing a moment between a couple that I shouldn't be watching. I have to admit that they look perfect together though. I've never had an extremely serious boyfriend before, nor have I ever been in love. But I've always loved to watch and listen to love stories, hoping that one day I'll find one of my own. "Calm down, I'll figure out how to get you that book by tomorrow."

"Okay," Abby huffs before her eyes look over at me. She looks embarrassed as she realizes that I just witnessed her entire outburst. She smiles at me kindly. "Sorry you had to witness that, I've been waiting for this book that I want for months now, I'm feeling a little bit frustrated."

"It's fine," I shrug and watch as she tilts her head at me for a moment. 

"Do I know-" before she can finish the question that I know she's about to ask, Scott leans over and whispers something in her ear. I watch as her eyes widen and they hold each other's eyes for a few moments before she turns to look at me. 

She takes a few steps closer to me and I frown at her. But that doesn't stop her, I'm surprised when she wraps her arms around me and hugs me closely. I don't move as she continues to hug me and I look at Scott, trying to  understand why exactly his fiance is cuddling up to me. he just shrugs at me and turns around, obviously not wanting to invade in on whatever is happening. 

"I lost my friend to depression about a year ago," I hear her whisper in my ear and I seize up. "Her name was Skylar, and she lost her first love. She felt like there was no one left for her, she isolated herself and took her own life. She was so young, and you're so young. She...there was just so much out there for her, so many people behind her, but she couldn't see that. I want you to be able to see it though. I may not know you, I'm just a weird stranger in a book store, but I know what the media is trying to make you look like. They're trying to make you look selfish and like a bad person, but they don't know what you're probably going through. But I think I understand, I've seen a person fall apart firsthand. But I just want you to know...suicide is never the answer. Ever. You probably have so many people bullying you online right now that no one is even trying to help support you."

I don't even notice when I start crying but it just sort of happens. This is probably one of the first times that I've felt as though someone understands my situation since the incident, and it's kind of crazy that the people who seems to understand is a stranger. At some point during her monologue I started hugging her back, probably much tighter than she's hugging me, but she doesn't seem to mind. She pulls away from the hug and I look up at her to see tears in her eyes too. 

"Whatever you're going through is probably really hard," she says. She begins digging through the purse that she has wrapped around her shoulder. I watch as she grabs out a slip of paper and a pen, she quickly writes something down before handing me the paper. "If you ever feel like you don't have anyone to talk to, call me. And if I'm not available I put Scott's number on there too."

"Um," I look down at the paper and then back up at her. Scott walks over and stands next to his fiance and she wraps an around his waist. "Why...why are you being so nice to me? You don't even know me."

"The worst feeling in the world is when you feel like you don't have anyone at all to talk to," Abby says with a sad look on her face.  "And I've been hearing a lot about your story on the news, I don't want the same thing that happened to Skylar to happen to anyone."

Not much more is said after that. Abby gives me another guy and Scott gives me a warm smile before they make their way out of the store. I stand there, thinking about everything that just happened. I look down at the phone numbers that Abby gave me and tuck the paper away in my pocket for safe keeping. A small smile appears on my face as I realize that there are still some nice people in this world. And even though they've already left the store, I find myself whispering two words aloud. 

"Thank you."

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

I'm going to make this a quick author's note. My brother got a new mustang and I have to go take pictures with him cause tonight is his prom, and I have to get ready in fifteen minutes. Hope you all enjoyed the chapter. 

Like the surprise appearance by Scott and Abby?

Think that Hannah needed to hear all that Abby said to her?

Think Hannah is still going to have any problems dealing with depression again over the next few chapters?

Ready to see Eathen again?

Instagram: lilchocolatedonut

Snapchat: momo36235

Vote

Comment

Follow

Fan