Chapter Five

Hannah's P.O.V

The day started out slow, and is continuing to move just as slow. I haven't seen Alex all day and I'm beginning to think that she just decided to ditch school today. I'm not getting as many stares as I did when I first arrived here yesterday; I guess me being here quickly became old news. Even so, I'm still treated the same way I was when I first got here yesterday.

I can't blame people for trying to avoid me; some of them probably think that by talking to me they'll trigger something. Others just seem bothered by the prospect of me being in the same area as them. It shocks me how much things have changed after making one mistake. One mistake and nobody wants to sit with you at lunch. One mistake and you're being glared at for some reason every time you turn a corner. One mistake and nobody even wants to be seen talking with you.

One mistake.

As I walk towards my locker to grab my lunch I do wonder if this is what it's like for all people who have tried to commit suicide and survived. Are people treating me the way they are right now solely because of my image prior to taking those pills? Or is this just how everyone looks at suicide survivors? As if they're somehow better because they know how to manage their life.

I grab my lunch from my locker and walk outside. I told Alex earlier that I think it would be a better idea to eat outside than in the cafeteria. It's much more calm and it decreases the probability of Alex getting into a fight with Courtney. I take a few steps outside of the school; breathing in and out. I sit on one of the benches and open my lunch.

"You need to start eating healthier," I hear. I look up and see Alex staring at the giant cheeseburger that I'm wielding in my hands.

"I'll start eating healthier when you do," I say before taking a bite out of the gigantic burger and she wrinkles her nose at me.

"Touche," she says before taking a seat next to me. Alex and I eat the way we usually do, with you rambling on about her day while I listen; throwing in the occasional comment to signify that I'm actually listening. She's in the middle of one of her conspiracy theories about how she thinks the government is controlling the weather when someone clears their throat. I look up and am surprised who's standing there.

"Bradley?" I ask glancing up at my former friend as he stands there awkwardly. Prior to me taking those pills he was one of the people that I used to hang out with, but weren't exactly best friends. We just came from the same circle of friends and would see each other by default.

Bradley had always been what people would call the 'popular nerd'. I never really understood why he needed to be labeled that, but if anyone were to be a popular nerd it would definitely be Bradley. He doesn't wear glasses like the stereotypical nerd does, but he definitely doesn't have a problem with wearing bow ties. He's a cute guy and I think the only reason he's labeled as a nerd is because he currently has a 4.7 GPA.

"What're you doing here?" Alex asks narrowing her eyes at him. Alex has definitely never been close to any of the other people that I used to hang out with and it probably pissed her off even more considering that he was hanging out with Courtney just the other day.