Chapter 7

Song up above: Berserk by Eminem

"A diamond with a flaw is better than a common stone that is perfect." – Chinese Proverb

[Johnny Orion POV]

It doesn't matter how far you run... There are some dark memories you can't escape. My name is Johnny Orion. When I was born, martial arts caught my eye. Since my parents were Aikido masters, it was only a matter of time before they would train me.
By the time I knew how to walk, I had a Bo Staff in my hands and I was learning how to throw a punch. When I turned the age of five, my parents taught me how to control my chi. At first, I didn't know what that was until my dad told me about it.

He said to me; "look at the bird in the sky, that squirrel on the tree, the very grass that we sit on. Everything has a universal energy that drives us and guides us to enlightenment."

At that time, I still couldn't figure out what my dad meant for the fucking life of me. It was like he was talking riddles. It wasn't until I turned eleven years old that I finally understood what he meant. As I sat there on his deathbed, I could feel his energy slipping. It's never easy seeing a loved one die, but to actually feel their soul breaking apart... it's something no kid wants to feel.

I mourned him for days, I couldn't even remember the exact number. My mother continued to train me, but I lost the love for martial arts since dad was gone. It took me ten weeks to find that love again.  During those ten weeks, my mother had me meditate in a soundproof room. She said it could help me find myself again, but I had my doubts.

While I was inside that room, all I could hear was the emptiness of my mind. Silence... pure silence in darkness. I then heard something blow past me. It began as a whisper, a cry that was more beautiful than a canary in the moonlight.  You see, there is that point in your life where you find who you are again in darkness. Darkness has a way of shedding light on who you are. At that moment, I remembered who I was, the person I wanted to be.

As the years passed, mom and I would train even harder. She took me to tournaments and I would dominate the world. In those days I never felt more alive. I felt like my father was with me through it all. Schools weren't a problem, I managed pretty well in those environments, especially high school. I wasn't trying to be the popular kid or the star athlete, I was just trying to get through it all.

My teachers say I was a good kid, but I was just paying my dues. Straight A student, always on time, never talks back to teachers, I heard it all. Don't get me wrong, hearing those things are good, but it's just that those comments feel a little exaggerated. I didn't have time for any major relationships, but I did have a strong friendship with this girl.

Her name was Talia, cool name.
Turns out, she studied Martial Arts as well. We had a sparring match and I got my ass kicked. Her style was simply beautiful, I couldn't even begin to describe it. It was like looking at a ninth symphony, but with electric guitars. Talia was pretty amazing, she was a good friend to me. She would often show me the latest martial arts movies, along with the golden oldies. There was nothing like watching Bruce Lee kick the shit out of someone.

While we were watching the movie, Talia asked me if I was seeing someone. I obviously said no and she kissed me on the lips. Now I did not know what the fuck just happened, but I went with it. Throughout high school, we were a couple and we enjoyed each others company. When we graduated, that is where we had to end things there. It wasn't bad, we left things on good terms. Respect is what I value the most, so I let her go.

I know what you are thinking, this is too good to be true, there is no way that this guy could go through a dark time... you would be surprised! The day was on Mother's Day night, I and my mom was watching the latest Martial Arts movie. It was an amazing experience made all the better by my mother's smile.

As we exited the theater, we went to get some ice cream. Her favorite was a birthday bash, mine was fudge swirl. Right when we got our snacks, we were attacked by some guys wearing some kind of black masks. They beat me within an inch of my life, knocking me out. The last thing I heard, was the angered cries of my mother as she charged at the attackers.

A moment's later, I woke up to find my mother lying in a pool of blood, clutching the wound in her chest. My mother was killed in front of me that night, for trying to save me. I... I held her hand when she died in my arms. I was never a big fan of funerals, so I didn't attend.

With my mother gone, the path for me was empty. I mourned her for eight months and I avoided contact with anyone. I couldn't deal with my mother being killed in such a manner. One day, I received a letter, containing a disc inside. The disc was a video recording of my mother, sitting in front of a camera. I began to hear what she says, but one phrase in particular.

It was something like; "remember your training, remember why you love life. Because this person watching this video, he is going to change the world. What will always be, my greatest accomplishment... is giving birth to you."

It was in that moment that I knew, that I was destined to change my destiny. So I heard about this school and I applied on the spot. I was going to honor my parent's memory by becoming more than just a man, I was going to fight to be something more... a legend.