Chapter 11

1 month later

//Tess's POV

Preparation for the fight against Negan had been going great. Having Carl's group on our side has been a huge help.

We were practicing our aim when I heard twigs snap from behind me.

I turned around to see Dwight walking up to us. A big group of Saviors were following him.

My eyes widened. Carl and his group were standing behind me but I could guess that they were shocked, too.

Dwight walked up to me.

"You did it," I said softly, smiling.

He shrugged. "Sort of. A lot of them still need convincing."

I nodded and he stood on my right.

I faced the group.

"First off," I started nervously. "You took a big risk by coming here today, and I want to thank you for that. I admire you guys for being willing to go behind Negan's back. I don't know if I would've been able to if I was in your shoes. And I feel guilty to ask you all to continue making sacrifices, but I know that's the reason you all came here."

The whole group watched me, intent and curious.

"I want you to know," I continued. "That if you join us, your past means nothing. We won't see you all as a Savior. You'll be one of us. And you'll have just as much value in the group as the rest of us. And maybe even more. Because, as far as I know, Negan still trusts all of you. I'll be relying on you guys to get information from him as well as fighting. There's gonna be a war. Are you guys ready for one?"

They exchanged glances with each other before taking deep breaths and nodding.

"We're with you," someone from the front of of the group said.

I smiled and looked over at Dwight.

"And so am I," he said genuinely.

We exchanged a smile and I faced the group again.

I felt someone come up on my left and take my hand, intertwining our fingers.

I looked over to see Carl, holding my hand tightly.

We looked at each other for a moment before forcing ourselves to look away.

Carl's group went over and interacted with Dwight's. The three of us watched them.

Not once did my hand leave Carl's.