Chapter 6

//Carl's POV

I woke up to the sound of something repeatedly hitting my window.

I groggily got out of bed and went to check.

I looked out the window and was shocked to see Tess standing outside of the gate, throwing pebbles at my window.

Confused, I opened the window.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered.

Instead of answering, she waved her hand, gesturing for me to go over to her.

I gave her an exasperated look before quietly heading downstairs and out of the house.

I swiftly climbed over the wall and met her on the other side.

"What are you doing her?" I asked again.

"I needed to see you," she replied.

"Tess, it's the middle of the night," I pointed out tiredly. "And I thought you didn't want to talk to me."

She sighed and pulled me over to a fallen tree.

We sat down. Tess kept holding my arm.

"Of course I want to talk to you," she said softly. "It's just...I'm still hurting, too. It's hard for me to see you all happy with Enid."

"I thought you wanted me to be with Enid."

"I do," she promised. "Because I want you to be happy. It's just hard. But that's not what I came here to talk to you about."

I looked at her in confusion.

"I need your help," she said.

"With what?" I asked.

She sighed. "I wanna kill Negan. And I know you do, too. After what he did Michonne."

I inhaled sharply as I remembered her. I had tried not to think about her since she died. It hurt too much. I knew my dad still wasn't over her. When he wasn't on a run, he was locked in his room.

"Carl?" Tess said. I guess I had zoned out.

I looked at her. "So what if we do go after him? What if one of us dies? Or both of us?"

She stared at me for a second. "I'm willing to take that risk," she said seriously. "Whether you are or not is your choice."

I sighed. "I am. I have to be. He's ruining our lives."

She nodded solemnly. "It's a one way ticket for both of us." (Cue Rosita reference)

"As long as it's a one way ticket for him, too."

She nodded again. "It will be. Thank you."

I nodded. Without thinking, I hugged her tightly. She seemed surprised, but she hugged me back.

I started to realize how much I actually missed her. I thought I would be fine without her. But I wasn't.

After a few minutes, she pulled away, keeping her hands on my shoulders.

"Meet me here tomorrow?" she asked.

I nodded. "Yeah. Sure."

She nodded. She stared at me for a second before getting up and running away.

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. I looked up.

I could see Enid watching from her window.

As soon as I caught her eye, she immediately turned and disappeared from view.

I exhaled deeply and put my face in my hands.

I could barely handle one girl. How am I supposed to handle two?