Chapter 3

//Tess' POV

I was tied to a tree. Tightly. I couldn't move anything. I was in the middle of a forest. I tried yelling out for help, no response coming back.

The only thing my call got in return was the soft growl of a walker. It came into view, and that's when I started to black out.

The only thing I recognized before I went out was the sheriff hat sitting on its head.

I woke up to a pounding headache. I groaned softly and pressed my hand to my forehead.

I slowly opened my eyes, immediately getting blinded.

My eyes got adjusted and I opened them fully. I wasn't in a room I recognized.

Slowly, my memory came back. About what I had done. Or what I had tried to do.

I looked to my left to see someone sitting next to the bed.

Carl.

His arms were crossed and one leg was pulled up to his chest. He was watching me intently.

Alarmed, I quickly started to sit up.

Carl immediately sat forward and put his hand on my chest.

"Slow," he told me.

I gave him a dangerously suspicious look. "What are you doing here?" I asked. "And where am I?"

He sighed. "You're at Hilltop. And I'm here because your sister found me and told me you were trying to kill yourself. What the hell, Tess?"

I rolled my eyes. "We're not together anymore, you don't have to worry about me," I assured him in annoyance.

He put his foot down and leaned forward on his elbows.

"Look, Tess," he said seriously. "Whether you like it or not, I still care about you. No matter what, I will always come for you."

I tried to hide my blush and stared at the flowers next to my bed.

"How's Enid?" I mumbled.

"She's good," he shrugged, waving off the question. "Why did you try to kill yourself?"

I sighed, leaning back in my pillow.

"My life is shitty, that's why," I said forcefully. "Is my sister here?"

He nodded.

"I wanna see Lydia," I told him.

Carl sighed and shrugged. "You're welcome," he mumbled sarcastically before standing up and leaving.

Lydia rushed in a moment later, sitting in Carl's chair and grabbing my hand.

"Tess, are you okay?" she asked worriedly.

I nodded. "I'm fine," I breathed. "I wanna go home, Lydia."

She took a nervous breath. "Tess, I don't know if-"

"I want to leave," I repeated, clipping off each word. I started to get out of bed, but I stopped for a moment and gave her a serious look. "And I don't want you talking to Carl again."

She hesitated but nodded.

I sighed and got to my feet.

I never wanted to even hear Carl's name again.