Chapter Eight: Kidnapped

Comenzar desde el principio

He'd never given a lot of thought to death. If he died, he died. It wasn't something he dwelled on. He didn't care if he died, he didn't care if other people died. At least he didn't used to. The thought of Ary being dead made him feel sick to his stomach. He couldn't stand it if something happened to her. He'd go mad if he didn't have her.

*******************************

Ary groaned as she slowly regained consciousness. Her head was pounding. It made it difficult for her to try and remember what happened. She couldn't form a coherent thought and even after she managed to open her eyes, her mind was trapped in complete darkness.

It took her a moment to realize that she was in a dark room. She tried to push herself into a sitting position, but she hit her head on the ceiling.

"What the-" Ary felt around her. She wasn't in a room; she was in a small, enclosed space.

Suddenly realization hit her. Someone had attacked her at the club. No. Someone had kidnapped her. Panic and fear overcame her as she rolled around in her confined space as she looked for a way out.

Where was she? It wasn't a room. A box or crate maybe? It didn't feel like that, not that she had ever been trapped in a box before.

Okay, Harper just relax, she mentally told herself. Panicking wasn't going to get her anywhere. She couldn't concentrate on her surroundings and the fear coursing through her body made it impossible for her to hear anything other than the blood pumping through her veins.

She heard something from outside. She held her breath, afraid that her breathing would drown out the noise and she'd never be able to find out where she was. Then she heard it again, but this time it was closer. It was the sound of a car horn. As everything started to click into place, Ary felt like smacking herself in the forehead. She was in the trunk of a car. How stupid could she be?

Okay, she was in a trunk. Why? Why would someone throw her in the trunk of a car? Who would want to take her? Okay, that was a stupid question. Not only was she dating a man that had more enemies than allies, but she had pissed off quite a few people all on her own. There were a number of people that would want to kidnap her. At the top of that list were about a dozen different Bloodbaths.

She had to find a weapon. If some drugged out gang-banger had indeed taken her then she needed to find something to defend herself with. Anything. A wrench, jumper cables, anything. She was in a trunk, there had to be something like that lying around.

There was nothing. The trunk was absolutely empty. There wasn't even a loose piece of trash. Well, she supposed that if she was going to kidnap someone and toss them in the trunk she wouldn't want to leave anything lying around that might help that person escape.

As a sense of dread began to wash over her she suddenly remembered something Mads had shown her when they were in high school. Most cars had places to put a spare tire and with a spare tire a jack was usually included.

Ary felt around underneath her until she found a break in the carpeting of the trunk. She rolled to the side and lifted the piece of carpet as she went. She then felt around in the hidden compartment underneath her and sure enough there was a spare tire underneath. She felt around the tire for a jack or anything that could be used as a weapon.

When her fingers brushed over a long metal rod she felt like shouting out in triumph. This was much better than a jack. She pulled the tire iron out from underneath her and carefully replaced the square piece of carpet over the spare tire. She had a weapon. Now all she had to do was wait for the perfect time to use it.

Ary kept her back towards the opening of the trunk, the tire iron clutched tightly in both of her hands as she waited for the trunk to be opened. The idiots who kidnapped her were going to regret not tying her up. She really hoped they were some of Christian's friends because that would make beating the crap out of them so much more enjoyable.