Part 11: Nap Time

It was Monday, and I was still stuck in bed. I had emailed all of my professors telling them I was sick with the flu. It was easier than telling them that I was bitten and my body was fighting a hopeless battle against it until it gave up. That might have caused some alarm and confusion. The fires that had constantly plagued my body had settled to a dull ache, which went away but only when Gabe was around and he was not currently my favorite person. He had apologized to me profusely, and although I understood that he hadn't meant to do it, it still happened, and I was angry. I distracted myself as best as I could, spending my time in bed doing homework, trying to work ahead. I refused to let this derail my plans. 

I was typing a paper on the computer that Gabe had lent me when he barged into the room. His hair was messy, like he had been running his hands through it over and over. I tried to ignore the instant feeling of relief that I got when I saw his amazingly handsome face.  "I can't stand it anymore!" he burst out. 

"Gabe, what are you talking about?" I stammered nervously.

"I haven't slept all weekend. I can't eat, I can't think. I need to spend some time with you, please," his eyes were tired and pleading. I felt an immense wave of guilt and I nodded quietly, closing the laptop and setting it on the white bedside table. I scooted over to one side of the bed, and Gabe slid onto the bed, kicking his shoes off and moving in close to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. I tried to ignore how nice it felt to be close to him, but my body was reacting on it's own. Curling my feet under me, I leaned into him, burying my face into his shoulder. The aching pains that I had felt all weekend were gone, and in it's place was a contented tiredness, like I had just finished a good workout. I could feel Gabe's breath slowing, and my eyelids were getting heavier too. There was a sense of peace that I hadn't felt in forever, and I relished it for as long as I could before I fell asleep.

I woke up feeling more refreshed than I had in forever. For the first time in forever, the nightmares were non-existent. I was resting on a hard chest, with my legs intertwined with Gabe's. His arms were wrapped tightly around me and his breathing was slow and heavy. I looked up at his face, quietly studying the chiseled jaw, the dark eyelashes and the green eyes that were staring right back. I jumped in bed and he chuckled. I buried my face in his chest. 

"How long have you been watching me sleep sweetheart?" I could hear the smirk in his voice.

"Not too long," my voice was muffled by his chest, and he chuckled again.

"Well, if it makes you feel better, I was watching you too." I lightly slapped his chest and he laughed, then put his face in the crook of my neck and gently kissed his mark. Rather than feeling the usual pain, I was met with tingles that raced all over my spine and I shivered and bit my lip, trying to resist the urge to gasp. 

"Ev, I have to do some pack business. It shouldn't take much longer than an hour, tops. Are you going to be okay for a while?" he actually seemed concerned, and my heart melted a little. I didn't want him to leave I quickly realized, and it made me nervous that he was leaving, but I tried not to show it.

"I'll be fine!" I tried to smile at him, and it must have worked because he kissed my forehead and walked out. After he left, the ache in my body came back and I had to shake myself out of the Gabe created haze I was in. I couldn't let myself get attached.  I climbed out of bed and walked to the attached bathroom, going to take a shower. Taking my time, I washed my hair carefully, getting all of the tangles out. I finished and stared at myself in the mirror for a while. I was being fed 3 giant meals a day almost forcibly by Paige and I had started to fill out. You could see less of my ribs, and my hip bones were sticking out less. I looked more complete. 

I heard a vibrate from somewhere around the room and I carefully maneuvered my way across the giant bedroom, searching for the source of the noise. I walked quietly across the bedroom, dressed only in a giant t-shirt of Gabe's as I had left all of my clothes at my dorm. Paige was going to bring me some clothes after class today, but until then I was stuck. I walked to the dresser and found my phone plugged into the wall charging. I looked at the notifications and found that I had received a text from an unknown number. I opened it and it simply said, "I know you Evan." I frowned, that didn't make much sense. I only had 4 numbers in my phone, with the addition of Gabe's number in the last week, so there was a lot of people it could have been. 

I was distracted from thinking about it when Gabe re-entered the room, carrying two plates of food and a glass of water for me. I shut my phone off and walked back to the bed, sliding onto it next to where he had taken a seat. We ate in silence for a while, but it wasn't awkward. I had just finished my pasta when Gabe said, "How about we play 20 questions?"

I chewed and swallowed, then said, "Okay."

So we sat and played 20 questions for the next 2 hours, talking about certain things, like the fact that Gabe had a pet duck as a kid, or bickering over things like the best combination of flavors. He said chocolate and mint, disagreeing with my claim that chocolate and peanut butter were scientifically the best flavor combinations. I learned more about the werewolves as a species and the role of an Alpha. Gabe even started to talk about my duties as his Luna, but I just laughed awkwardly and changed the subject. That was too much for me. I noticed that he stayed away from questions about my past, but I didn't question it. I must have been tired, because I was half asleep with the plate of food in my hands. I felt Gabe lift it from my lap and place it on the table. Then he turned off the light and right after he pulled me to his chest I was asleep again. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like it, favorite! If you want to comment on something you like or you think I should change, do so! Share with your friends! Thank you!