Part 8: The First Day

My alarm went off at 9 and I rolled over, turning it off with a groan. I sat up quietly, rubbing my eyes with a fist. I rolled my ankle experimentally and was pleased to discover that it was even better than earlier. I slid out of bed and padded over to my closet, picking out a plain white t-shirt and black high-waisted jeans. I braided my hair over one shoulder, making sure my scar was covered with my hair. I tried to cover the scrape as much as I could with foundation, but you could still see it. There wasn't anything I could do about it, so I just grabbed my backpack and left the room. I was hoping I would run into Paige during the day so I could tell her what had happened. My stomach growled and I used that as my deciding factor to go get some breakfast. I still had 20 minutes before my class anyway. 

One bowl of oatmeal and peaches later I emerged with a content warm feeling in my stomach that I didn't have very often. I strolled across campus, letting the sun warm my back and relax my shoulders. My thoughts drifted to Gabe again, but I banished them with a roll of my shoulders. I had school to focus on now, and I couldn't get distracted. I heard a commotion behind me right as I was about to enter my first classroom, but I just ignored it. Until Paige ran up and grabbed my arm, pulling me to the bathroom.

"Where have you been?!" she hissed at me.

"At the dorm room. Where were you by the way? Also do you happen to have my phone?" I checked my watch, I only had 5 minutes until class. 

"Yeah here," she said impatiently, pulling my phone out of her back pocket and handing it to me, "the boys went and got your stuff out of the car. I was at the pack-house, I stay there with John on the weekends. But that's not even what is important right now! Why did you leave? Gabe almost killed someone!"

"I don't know! I just wanted to come back," I didn't want to admit what I was actually thinking, so I got defensive instead. It was easier for me. "I have to go to class, I'll see you later okay?" Without waiting for an answer, I adjusted my backpack on my shoulders and left the bathroom, making my way back to the classroom just in time to find a seat near the back. I pulled a notebook out of my backpack and grabbed a pencil out of the front pocket. It was an ecology class, one of my favorite subjects, and the professor was one of the best rated in the university. I was copying down the starting information when I felt a sudden burning gaze on the side of my face. I cautiously looked to the side to see Gabe staring furiously at me. Luckily the lecture started right as he started to get up from his seat. I blushed furiously and tried to focus on the notes, but I could feel his gaze on me the entire time and it was very distracting. 

We were discussing the course outcomes when I felt a tap on my shoulder, I turned and saw a handsome guy smiling at me. 

"Hey, I'm Max," he whispered. I smiled in return, and his face brightened. "What's your name?"

"Evan," I whispered in return, and blushed when he smiled and whispered, "That's a really cute name."

"Thank you," I replied quietly and tried to focus again on the lecture.

"I bet your boyfriend thinks so too," he said with a smirk. I raised one eyebrow in question and he motioned to where Gabe was sitting. If possible, he looked even more angry than before, except now his glare was directed at Max. He looked like he was about to flip his desk. 

"Okay class, I think we'll call it a day. See you on Wednesday," the professor called out. I gathered up my things as quickly as I could and smiled at Max on my way out, who winked at me. I was walking out of the building when suddenly I was grabbed by the hand and gently dragged to an empty classroom by an irate Gabe. He closed the door and strode over to me, pulling me into his arms, dipping his head down to the crook of my neck and inhaling deeply. Even with his strange behavior, I wasn't feeling as alarmed as I should have been. I was confused, but not scared. His presence was like a security blanket, wrapping me in warmth and comfort. I was terrified of that feeling.

"Gabe, what is happening? Are you okay?" I asked in a whisper. I felt like I had to whisper to not startle him. 

He pulled back, and I stared into eyes that were glowing a bright yellow, just like Paige's had that night. He hissed in a voice that was guttural, "Of course I'm not okay. I wake up to check on you and you're gone! With no note, nothing! And then you're flirting with that human in class! You're mine, not his." He put his face in my neck and inhaled again. 

I gently pulled away, but I was extremely angry. "Gabe, the last time someone said that to me I ended up half-dead in a ditch in North Dakota. Let me make something perfectly clear. I am, and never will be yours." I swung my backpack back on my shoulder and walked out of the classroom, headed to my next class. I didn't look behind me to see if he was following. I was 5  minutes late to my next class, sidling in to my next class with an apologetic smile at the professor. He simply nodded and continued teaching, so I pulled out my supplies and focused on the lecture. Afterwards, I had an hour to eat lunch so I walked back to the cafeteria for a quick lunch. I sat at one of the tables outside by myself, eating a bowl of soup and enjoying the weather. I was almost finished when Gabe sat down across from me, looking extremely guilty. I raised an eyebrow, but continued eating, waiting until he had something to say. 

"Look," he started, and then paused, breathed deeply, and started again, "Look, I'm sorry. I don't know your past, but I am an Alpha, and you are my mate. It's natural for me to get possessive. I can't apologize for my natural instincts. Even now, with all of these human boys staring at you, it makes me want to hide you from the world."

"I understand Gabe. Well, I don't actually, because I don't know anything about what you are, but I accept your apology. If you say it's something you can't help, I will trust you." I stood up and dumped my bowl in the trash. "I have to go to class."

"Can I walk you?" Gabe asked hopefully.

"Sure," I said grudgingly, "let's go."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Double trouble! If you liked it, favorite or comment! If you see something I should change, let me know! Share with your friends! Thank you!