Pilot

BEEP BEEP BEEP

I groaned and slammed my alarm clock to make it shut up. My first day of school, great. My name is Tessa Gilbert, I live with my little brother Jeremy, and my Aunt Jenna and my older sister Elena. I'm 17 and I live in Mystic Falls, Virginia.  My parents died in a car accident months ago. Our car drove off a bridge one night and Elena and I were in the backseat, we were also the only ones that survived, somehow. Anyway enough about me and my family, let's get back to my life.

I pulled off my sheets and blankets and lazily got out of bed nearly tripping over the carpet trying to make my way to the bathroom. I brushed my teeth and stripped from my clothes turning the hot water of the shower on. I hopped in and washed my hair and body. I shaved my legs quickly and got out wrapping a towel around my body. Once I brushed my long hair I walked out of my bathroom and into my small boring plain room. I jumped when I heard a loud screech. A humongously large black crow was sitting on the edge of my open window. I've never seen a crow that big before, it actually scares me. I groaned and stomped over to it.

"Shoo, you stupid bird," I said to it waving my hand around. It flew away and I closed the window. Weird, I never remember even opening it in the first place. I got dressed into a black bra and matching underwear. I put on a plain black tank top and some light washed skinny jeans with some holes in the knees. I slipped on my old beat up American flag converse along with a grey cardigan. I quickly put on some mascara and swiped some light colored lipgloss across my chapped lips. I blowdried and straightened my blonde hair and walked down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Good morning. Want some toast?" my aunt Jenna asked opening the Grey metal fridge. I smiled at her and Elena before grabbing a mug from the upper cabinet.

"It's all about the coffee, aunt Jenna," Elena said with a smile while pouring some coffee into my mug and then some into hers.

"Is there coffee?" Jeremy then asked walking over to me. He looks extremely tired, but I don't really blame him. I barely got any sleep last night too. Elena was the only one of us to actually look ready and excited for school today.

"It's your first day of school and I'm totally unprepared," Jenna trailed off looking for something through the mess of our counter table, it was covered in papers and random things. I'm guessing she hasn't had time to clean any of it up. I went to take a sip from my mug when Jeremy grabbed the mug from my hand and took a sip himself taking it from me. I glared at him before rolling my eyes and grabbed another mug pouring some coffee into it.

"Lunch money?" Jenna asked Elena and I holding out two five dollar bills. We both smiled at her and rejected it politely. Jeremy took it for himself stuffing it in the pocket of his jeans. He'll probably use it for drugs and not lunch money but I didn't say anything. I love Jeremy but it's Elena's job to get him away from the drugs. I have had some problems with drugs in the past as well, I think Jeremy got it from me. I used to do them but I'm proud of myself for not letting them take over my life. I hope that that doesn't happen to Jeremy so sometimes I tell him to knock it off but he never listens to me anymore.

"Anything else? A number two pencil? What am I missing?" Jenna questioned. She looks so stressed out and all I wanted to do was hug her. Taking care of the three of us can be pretty frustrating.

"Don't you have a big presentation today?" I asked her taking a sip from my new cup of warm coffee.

"I'm meeting with my thesis advisor at.. Now, crap," Jenna breathed out looking at her small gold watch. She took her natural red hair from it's messy bun then shook it around trying to make it look presentable.

"Then go, we'll be fine," I assured waving my hand around. She nodded, grabbed her bag, and then fled from the house in a rush.

"You okay?" Elena asked Jeremy touching his shoulder gently. He sighed and rolled his eyes at her before retracting from her touch harshly.