Chapter Thirty-Four

Start from the beginning

"I'm pretty high up in ranking, sir. I'm about to start running Santa Monica in a few days. My father began the gang so I do have a lot of respect. I'm not dangerous. I don't have much reason to be. Opposing gangs aren't a problem. We win them over with trade and threats, and no one ever tries to come after us because we're so big and powerful. Delaney knows all of this, sir. I've been upfront with her from the beginning. She's a good girl. She's not affiliated. She doesn't smoke. She barely drinks. I take care of her. I protect her. I love her and I'd never let anyone hurt her."

In a way, it was kind of funny. Not only did I protect Delaney, but she also protected me. I'm the one who was supposed to be a tough gangster and she ended up saving my life from Jimmy. Her father didn't need to know all of that though. He'd probably lose his sh-t if he knew his daughter had kill someone because of me. "She knows you're in a gang and she's fine with that?"

"She's totally fine with it, sir. She's met my parents and they love her. I'm not keeping anything from her."

Michael covered his face and groaned. My stomach turned as I took a hit from the blunt out of my shaky hands. If Michael blew up on me, I don't know how I would handle it. I couldn't fight Delaney's father and I sure as hell couldn't kill him. "You protect her?"

"I protect her. She protects herself. I mean, you know her, she's your daughter. She can be pretty scary sometimes. I think her words could literally kill." Her father chuckled and I felt so relieved. Okay, he wasn't too mad. I got him laughing so he had to be at least neutral about everything. "Seriously, sir, I've taught her how to use a gun just in case she needs to protect herself. I bought her a gun to keep herself safe. We're prepared and we're aware that my lifestyle isn't the best but she's willing to adjust."

"You taught my little girl how to use a gun!?" I smacked my forehead. I probably should've kept that part to myself. I cursed at myself but relaxed when I heard that coyote laugh. "I'm just f-cking with you, kid. Honestly, this is a lot to take in. I don't think Natalie can handle this, at least not right now. So, for your sake and my wife's sake, we're going to keep this between me and you. Not even Delaney needs to know that I know what you do. Got it?"

"I got it, sir."

"There's just some things people shouldn't know. My wife doesn't know I smoke weed. My daughter doesn't know that this lame dad sh-t is all a sham. If I wanted to, I could be cool but I feel like it's best that I be a good example for her. I thought that Eric guy would be perfect for her, but I guess you'll have to do. I need to get to know you and see what you're all about."

"So, you're telling me you wear green shorts and other horrible rich dad outfits just to seem lame and normal for your daughter and wife?"

Michael shrugged his shoulders and nodded. "Basically. It fits my lifestyle. I'm just being the man I know my wife loves. Just like how Delaney is trying to adjust to your lifestyle, I adjust to my wife's."

"Wait, you're happy though, right?"

"Yeah, of course! I couldn't see myself with anyone else. But back to you, what do you like about my daughter? What made you pick her? You're really good-looking, rich and powerful so why Delaney? I know she's beautiful and everything but it's odd for you to be young and committed."

"My parents were young when they fell in love and started a family, so I always looked up to how much they loved each other. I want something like they have and I could see me having that with Delaney. I love that she's not too serious. I love how she's always rolling her eyes at me. I love how sometimes she gets a little attitude for no reason. She's funny, gorgeous and spontaneous. She's chill one minute and the next she's doing something crazy. She's rare."