23. She's Confused (Cover by theshiningmask)

Author's note.

Why do people think I finished the book??

And holy moly guys, it took me forever to find just 5 of the best comments, I had to go through so many beautiful comments, I just couldn't choose. Thank you, all of you. And from on, the people who have the best answers to my 'QUESTION OF THE CHAPTER' will get a shoutout, because to choose the nicest comments is just too hard, as u all are fabulous

QOTC: If you could date a book character, who would it be. To make it harder, only one, and why. They can be dead (tfios) or alive :)

(Best answers get shoutouts and best gets dedication <3)

Also, on the side is @theshiningmask 's cover, which came 2nd. Isn't it awesome?

Dedicated to Sanlana

Chapter 23

I literally scrambled out of the car and dashed for the school's entrance as we arrived. I couldn't last another second beside Nate after the discovery I'd made. The car ride back was literal pain. Nate had attempted many times to make conversation, but I just awkwardly responded or mumbled a very confusing sentence in response.

"What's up with you?" I slightly jumped with shock when Nate appeared beside me. I shook my head.

See what I mean? It's like my ability to talk had dimmed around him.

"Well, is everything alright?" He asked. I twisted my clammy fingers behind my back as a nervous response.

Get it together!

"I just remember that, uh, Rikki wanted to see me" I said, trying to sound genuine. He was skeptical, I could tell by the way his eyes narrowed, but dropped the subject with a reluctant nod.

"Okay, well, I have to go give the shopping to Mr Jennings." He said, lifting the bags in his hands. " I'll see you later?"

"I don't know. I guess. Ok bye" I spluttered out, before swiveling around and power-walking back to my dorm. I knocked on the door when I got to the dorm, realising I'd forgotten my keys with Nate. I really didn't want to go back and get it.

"Hey, you're ba-" I didn't let Rikki finish, as a ran past her and into my bathroom. I shut the door and ran to the sink, splashing my face with cold water. After doing that over a few times, I looked at myself in the mirror. My cheeks were flushed, random strands of hair were falling out of my ponytail from running my fingers through them. My breathing had become heavy and there was a weird constricting feeling in my chest.

I felt really confused. Have I really fallen for Nate?

Sighing, I left the bathroom after my breathing had calmed down.

"Hey, are you okay?" She asked as I emerged from the bathroom. Was I?

"Uh, yeah. Thank you" I muttered. "I'm, uh, going to make a phone call." I told. She crinkled her nose, but nodded anyways as I plonked onto my bed.

"Okay... If you need anything, be sure to call me" She said unsurely, and left the room.

"I will" I cupped my face in my hands and thought for a while. Should I call her. Coming to a conclusion, I reached over, picked up my phone and dialed the number I haven't called in ages.

Ring Ring.

Ring Ring.

Ring Ri-

"Hello, this is Heather Antonias speaking. Who is this?"

"Hi mum, it's me, Abigail"

"Oh Darling, I haven't heard from you in ages!!" She exclaimed, and I chuckled.