A Macabre Mystery

Start from the beginning

"Carol, where are you?" the mysterious voice cried anxiously as her head was suddenly filled with the image of a handsome young man with long black hair who was dressed like a pharaoh from ancient times.

"Aah—!" Carol screamed as another voice threatened her, falling to her knees and holding her head in fright in the darkness. What was this? What was happening?

"You can't run away anymore! You have been cursed by the royal family!"

BANG! BANG!

"Carol! Carol!" Jimmy shouted as he banged on the door from the outside, alarmed when he came back to meet her and heard her scream. Are you in there? What happened?" he asked, forcing the door open so he could get to her. Carol was sitting on the floor in the middle of the room, pale and trembling. She looked like she had just seen a ghost. "What's wrong? Carol!" he said urgently as he swept into the room, kneeling down beside her.

"I don't know!" Carol cried anxiously. "Someone was calling out for me, but..." Jimmy quickly stood up to search the room for the culprit, but with just one look, he could it completely empty aside from the two of them.

"There's no one here," he told her. Carol gasped as she realized he was right.

"Then... I was just hearing things... right?" she asked nervously as a bead of cold sweat dripped down the side of her face. The threat of the curse echoed in her mind. "Am I really hearing things?" she wondered aloud anxiously. "No! My spirit will weaken at this rate! I must be strong!" Carol scolded herself, hitting her head in an attempt to knock some sense into herself. 'The doctor and Bonnie both told me not to think about this at all...' she thought, remembering their advice about trying to recover her missing memories.

"Are you all right, Carol?" Jimmy asked, concerned.

"Sorry! I guess I was just hearing things!" Carol said, putting on a smile so he wouldn't worry.

"Just hearing things? You were screaming quite loudly, are you sure there's nothing wrong?" he pressed, seriously worried about her.

"I'm fine!" she insisted, trying to ease the tense situation. "Sorry I made you worry."

"Jimmy! Carol! You guys are so slow!" Maria called when they finally finished changing back into their school uniforms and came running to join the rest of their class.

"Wah! Maria, sorry, sorry!" Carol exclaimed cheerfully, rushing over to her friend.

'Carol's suddenly changed a lot...' Jimmy thought with a concerned frown as he followed her. 'She appears to be a lot more energetic now; she looks as if she has completely recovered, but... It seems like there's something wrong... She feels so far away,' he thought, feeling a little lonely, even though he was walking right beside Carol and watching her chat happily with their friends and classmates. 'She looks anxious, though. I hope we can soon return to where we were before, Carol!' He put on a smile so she wouldn't worry. "Next week, we're going to trace treasure during the history class, and we might also be visiting the Abu Simbel temples."

"We're going to Aswan in Upper Egypt?" Carol asked excitedly.

"Yep!" Maria answered brightly.

"Perhaps Jimmy's grandpa, Professor Brown, will say, 'Ah! Everyone! You're all so lucky! Egypt is ancient history's warehouse,'" Carol said, mimicking the professor with her voice while copying his posture.

"Wah! That sounds so real!" their friends and classmates laughed. It sounded just like him!

"There's no need to worry!" Jimmy said, embarrassed.