The Minoan Kingdom

After eleven days, the Minoans were completely cured and extremely grateful to Bonnie for saving them.

"You don't have to thank me," Bonnie told the excited crew, who had become lively again after their recovery. "But you should stay in quarantine for another seven days to make sure you're really cured. We wouldn't want any of you to have a relapse while we're on the sea."

"What do you mean, 'while we're on the sea'?" Memphis asked, standing on the dock. He had arrived in time to overhear that much. "Are you going somewhere?"

"Bonnie and I are going to the Kingdom of Minoa to help their sick king," Carol said.

"What?" Memphis said, taken aback. "You can't!"

"What?" Carol said. "But I already promised them! That's why they helped me save Bonnie."

"No way! Not only are you the queen and can't be spared, but you're with child!" Memphis said. "You shouldn't be sailing in such a delicate condition!"

"I'll be fine," Carol said dismissively.

"You—" Memphis started to yell.

"Actually!" Sebastos said before an argument could start. "We've decided we won't be needing the daughter of the Nile. Bonnie alone should be enough."

"What?" Carol said, surprised.

"We made that deal before we knew you were with child," Sebastos reminded her. "Also, we've seen that Bonnie really is as skilled as you said she was. She should be able to help our king even without your help, yes?"

"Yes, but..." Carol said, looking concerned. "Will you be all right traveling to a foreign country on your own?" she asked Bonnie.

"I will go with her," Ruka volunteered. 'The prince told me to keep an eye on Bonnie and protect her in his stead. He said I should prioritize her over Carol, so... Anywhere she goes, I go.'

"So, I won't be alone," Bonnie said, looking at Carol. "Memphis is right. You shouldn't be taking unnecessary risks in your condition. You stay here and relax and let Naptera look after you. I'll leave you instructions on how to care for yourself while I'm gone."

"There, see? You should listen to Bonnie," Memphis said.

"Hmm... You're all ganging up on me," Carol said, pouting. She was curious about ancient Crete and wanted to see it, too.

"I'll write you letters and bring you back some souvenirs," Bonnie promised, guessing what the problem was.

"You'd better," Carol said.

—∞—

After seven more days, when no one showed any signs of being infected by typhoid, everyone aboard the Minoan ship was released from quarantine. While the Minoans made their own preparations for their journey home, Bonnie went to the palace at Tanis with Carol and Memphis, where she was given new clothing and fresh medical supplies to take on her journey with her.

"These dresses seem fancier than what I'm used to wearing in ancient Egypt," Bonnie remarked looking at her favorite of the new dresses.

"Maybe Memphis feels bad about leaving you in Hittite, as he should," Carol said.

"Isn't it because you're queen now, and I'm your relative, so he doesn't want me to look poor?" Bonnie said, smiling wryly.

"I'd prefer to think he had a conscience," Carol said.

"Well, I'm sure you're right," Bonnie said, putting the dress away with the others in the boxes that served as her luggage.

"By the way, I've been wondering... what was in the cure you gave everyone?" Carol asked curiously. "You never did tell me."