Isis' Doom

The fighting would take a much shorter amount of time than Bonnie thought. In few days, Izmir, Memphis, their troops, and Rimusim and Ramman's group reached the entrance to the secret passage that led into the Babylonian palace.

"It is a two hours' march from here to the palace," Rimiusim said, standing in front of the doorway that was hidden in the side of a small mountain jutting up out of the desert behind a tree. "I suggest you are careful with your torches. If you lose your light, you will be plunged into complete darkness."

"We will be careful," Memphis said. He and Izmir took a few minuted to get their men organized to enter the narrow passage that led underground. They could only march with two people standing next to each other at a time. Izmir and Memphis reminded their men that they were only interested in capturing Isis, and that bloodshed should be, if possible, restricted only to those who dared to attack them.

"You six will enter last," Izmir told Rimusim, his four priests, and Ramman.

"Agreed," Rimusim said. "Anu should be able to guide you through the palace so you don't waste time wandering around blindly."

"I feel as though I should be doing something, too," Ramman said.

"You will," Izmir said. "When we capture Isis and take control of the palace, you will make yourself presentable and calm your people so they understand what is happening and will not try to start a battle with us."

"I will take you to the king's rooms, where you can get ready," Rimusim said. "You should look the part so people will recognize you and your authority."

"All right. Let's go," Memphis said. He and Izmir had Minue and a handful of their men go first, and then they entered the passage, with everyone else following as their turn to enter came up. Kurush stayed behind to make sure everyone stayed organized and followed their orders.

—∞—

While Rimusim, his priests, and Ramman had led the others to the secret passage, Anu had returned to the palace to get everything ready for their arrival. Anu first drugged the water being given to the guards and then carefully stole the key to the secret passage. He pretended to go about his work as he found excuses to get closer and closer to the part of the palace where the door to the secret passage was hidden. He moved some fabric that had been draped to decorate the wall aside and unlocked the door that was behind it. Then he put the fabric back and pretended to go about his business, keeping an eye on the area to make sure no one noticed what he had done and relocked the door or tried to alert the guards, who should be falling asleep soon, if they knew what was good for them.

After two hours, Minue and the first two men came out, followed closely by the next two, and then Memphis and Izmir.

"Good, you're here!" Anu said, going over to the two leaders. "How many more men do you think you need to capture Queen Isis?"

"Are the guards asleep?" Memphis asked.

"They should be," Anu said.

"I will take these two men and check," Minue said, taking the first two men to come out with him. They moved stealthily through the palace until they came to the first set of guards and saw that they were indeed asleep, then returned to the others. "We found two of them sleeping. I think it can be assumed that the drugged water has taken effect."

"Good. We will wait until we have six soldiers, then Izmir and I will find Isis and capture her," Memphis said. Two more soldiers came out of the passage. "All right. Let's go."

"I will guide you," Anu said, taking the lead. He guided Memphis, Izmir, and the six soldiers through the palace carefully, helping them avoid the busiest path. They still ran into a couple of people, but they were quickly knocked out before they could raise an alarm. They stopped when they heard voices up ahead.