Shadow of Death

"We're going now!" Carol said as she and Bonnie quickly hurried for the door as soon as they were dressed and ready for the day. They were both stylin'. Carol was wearing a pink skirt with a pattern of red stars and suspenders over a white quarter-length sleeved summer sweater-blouse, while Bonnie was sporting a blouse with a blue and green paisley pattern and some blue flared slacks with a green belt.

"Catch ya on the flipside, Nanny!" Bonnie added as they passed the older woman on their way out.

"Miss Carol and Miss Bonnie, at least drink some milk...!" Nanny Marie called after them.

"There's no need! You can drink them!" Carol told her.

"I'll grab something at the school's canteen in between classes!" Bonnie said.

"I'm so excited!" Carol said happily as they ran out the house together. "Dad and brother Ryan are coming here soon."

"I know, it feels like we haven't seen them in forever!" Bonnie said, grinning. She was definitely looking forward to it. "Hey, there's something up ahead," she said when she spotted two figures under the shade of one of the trees on their property. It looked like a person in a cloak and a dog.

"Ah! Are you all right?" Carol asked the person as they slowed their roll and saw the stranger was trembling.

"I got lost and suddenly found myself in this place... I feel sick..." the person said weakly, holding their face in their hands. It sounded like a woman.

"It's all right. I'm a medical student," Bonnie said as she kneeled down beside the stranger. She reached out and gently took the young woman's hands in her own.

"!" Carol gasped in surprise when she saw her face. 'What a pretty woman!'

Bonnie was also surprised, but for a different reason. "Your hands are freezing!" she said. The woman's hands felt icy to the touch compared to her own. She looked Egyptian, but her skin was very pale. She also seemed to be short of breath, and she was obviously very fatigued since she had collapsed in their yard. "You have a lot of the symptoms for anemia," Bonnie informed her. "Let's get you out of the sun."

"Yes, you need to rest!" Carol agreed as they helped the beautiful young woman to her feet so they could guide her into the house."Nanny Marie, this person needs help!"

"Could you please prepare some water and a bowl of those dried fruits I bought the other day?" Bonnie added. Prunes, raisins, and apricots were good sources of iron.

"I'm... Sorry..." the pretty woman said humbly, grateful for their assistance.

"Don't mention it," Bonnie said with a kind smile.

"That's right! Come in!" Carol said enthusiastically. "You're more than welcome! You'll be okay, Bonnie and Nanny Marie are going to take good care of you!"

"Thank you."

'As expected of Miss Carol and Miss Bonnie,' Marie thought proudly as they helped the sickly woman inside, with her big black dog following close behind.

While Bonnie got the woman and her dog settled in the sitting room, Carol slipped into the kitchen with the nanny to help prepare the things Bonnie had asked for.

"She's so pretty!" Carol gushed excitedly. "This is the first time I have seen a lady with such an elegant temperament! Her bracelet is made out of ancient gold!"

"But her dress looks like a night gown!" Nanny whispered, a little shocked when the young woman removed her cloak to reveal an outfit that was so diaphanous it was verging on being scandalous. "But I'm sure there's a reason for it," she added charitably.