A Bad Cold

Daddy pulled a blanket over top of her and tucked it under her chin as Dave set up his supplies. BabyGirl sneezed and almost wiped her nose on the back of her hand before Dave stopped her.

"Ah..." He reprimanded her, giving her a tissue he pulled from his pocket. She wiped her nose, it being slightly irritated.

She then proceeded to have a coughing fit, trying to contain most of it in the crook of her elbow. After she felt her diaphragm and breathing relax, she looked up at Dave.

"Inhaler?.." She asked him, not if he had one but if she could use hers. Her voice was rasp and hoarse from mucus and coughing. He nodded down at her putting a hand on her forehead, checking her fever.

"Yea. Inhaler now or do you want to wait to see if I can just get you medicine?" He asked her, getting a mini flashlight and a tongue pad, or just simply, a Popsicle stick. BabyGirl immediately tried to turn over, not wanting anything getting near her throat. Daddy had stopped her from rolling anymore over to her other side. She decided to just lie on her back.

"Medicine.." She said facing the ceiling. David nodded while Daddy sat on his knees on the floor next to the couch.

"Okay. That's what I thought. I have to check your throat first to see what medicine to give you." Dave told her, squatting down next to her. She turned her head to look at him before groaning and rolling over. He smiles. "Thank you. Now, open wide." He held the stick up to her mouth.

She reluctantly opened wide, sticking out her tongue slightly. Dave pressed her tongue down more before shinning the light into her throat.

It was raw and red, irritation clearly present. It was slightly swollen. Strep throat and infection in the tonsils were both possibilities. David took the stick out and turned the light off. "Okay. That part's done."

BabyGirl closed her mouth and turned her head back over. Just opening her mouth hurt and made it feel drier than a desert.

"What do you think she has?" Daddy asked David. He thought for a second before replying.

"A bad cold most likely. I still want to take a strep test to rule that out." He told him. At the word 'strep', BabyGirl groaned and buried her head in her pillow.

"I know it's uncomfortable and unpleasant, but it's necessary to help make you feel better sooner."

"No." Was all she said in reply.

"BabyGirl. You can take it now or during quiet time." He threatened. The little didn't move.

"Fine. Now or after quiet time and no music for the day." Daddy increased the stakes. BabyGirl moved her face from under the pillow slightly.

"That no fair!" She whined. Dave smiled at her outburst while Daddy stood his ground.

"Come on, Sweetie. The test won't take that long and then you can have some more soup." He bargained. She stared at him, considering. Finally giving up, she groaned and come out from under the pillow and laid her head down on it.

"Fine." She ground out, not pleased with having to take the test.