Nightmares

Everything was pitch black; I was as blind as if my eyes had been gouged. I brought my fingers to my eye sockets; they were still there. I turned back to the stairs and tried to run up, but my feet fell through each one like it was a mere projection. So how had I walked down them? I leaned forwards to touch the stair and felt a fabric fall down my arm, soft and velvety. Cold metal touched my forehead, one grope told me it was a pointed hat, like a fairy tale crown. I grabbed it and a mirror appeared in front of me, glowing like a television screen. It was me, broken face and all, dressed like some picture book queen. I swallowed. "The queen must die." Without sight of any knife in the mirror the image began to bleed from the neck. I raised my hand to feel the sticky warm fluid about my throat. I screamed...

I jolted awake, sweat dripping down my back. I heard the door wish open. It must be Jaxton, coming to check on me. It was a routine for him every night, whether I was asleep or not. Tonight was different, he stood there for awhile before walking in. My thoughts were accelerating inside my head. I want them to slow so I can breathe but they won't. My breaths come in gasps and I feel like I will black out. My heart is hammering inside my chest like it belongs to a rabbit running for its skin. The room spins and I squat on the floor, trying to make everything slow to something my brain and body can cope with. I feel so sick.

"Rosaline." Miraculously, that seem to calm me as I let his warm velvety voice embrace me. He started walking towards me as I got got into a defensive stance. "Let me stay," He pleaded, his voice filled with guilt, and worry.

"You'll hurt me again." I muttered more to myself than to Jaxon. "It was a mistake Rosaline" My head shot up to meet his eyes.  "It was never a mistake.  You enjoyed me being in there" The accusation came out weaker than expected. The guilt in his eyes increased twofold. 

"You're right." Jaxton's voice was low and sorrowful.

"I know I hurt you Rosaline, but I hurt too." I broke my record of swearing then.

"Fuck you." I spat out. Where had all this courage come from?

"You're right" Was all he said.

"Then would you let me go back?" I murmured silently. I didn't know why I said that. Maybe I thought that I could take advantage of his guilt.

On instinct, his head snapped up, enraged. He snarled before remarking.

"Sorry to break it to you princess, but that's never happening. Try it and I'll tie you to the bed."

Like I thought.

"I'm not in a place to ask you for a favor but I need you to help me Rosaline."

"You're selfish." Immediately he could answer me.

"Only for you."

"I can't help you." His arms coerced around my waist as I started at him wide eyed.

"Let me hold you, for one night." His voice, it came out vulnerable and so in pain. I didn't say anything and let him hold me.

That night, I didn't sleep a wink

*****

This chapter are for the dedicated readers of my story. Thank you for 1k+ reads!

xoxo ❤