Of course, Jungkook could be wrong, but Taehyung had seen the man in action the previous day. He wasn't technologically savvy, which would mean he probably didn't change passwords unless he had to. He entered the password into the startup screen, his stomach knotting as he waited to see if it worked. If the password was a dud, it got him off the hook with his big ethical decision.

But the password was accepted and the screen flipped to a starry sky background full of icons. Taehyung was relieved. He still wasn't sure he wanted to break Seongjin's privacy by checking email and document folders, but at least the decision hadn't been made for him. Taehyung had never made a choice passively when he could help it. He preferred to weigh his options and make a well-planned move. That's why he was more confused than ever since Jungkook had entered the equation. He'd never waffled this much in his life. Jungkook was his kryptonite.

First, he really did need to check his own email. The computer had two browsers. One was open with multiple tabs, including Seonjin's email, and the other browser was closed. Taehyung opened the second browser and uploaded his email account, not surprised to see fifty emails waiting for his attention. He'd only left Seoul two days ago, but he'd neglected things the day before while searching for information about LSJ Engineering.

He wasn't surprised to see an email at the top of the list from his company's investor. It was Friday morning and his deadline was Monday. Sure enough, the investor wanted an update. Taehyung could snowball him and tell him the situation was close to being resolved—and for all he knew, Jin was making great headway at Seongjin's office—but instead he found himself answering that the situation was the same. While he had a promising lead that might change the patent ownership, he couldn't be sure it would pan out. He'd send an update as soon as he could.

The investor wouldn't be happy. He was a man of action as well, which Taehyung respected and could appreciate.

His breath caught when he saw an email from Seunghoon, his business manager, which had been sent at four a.m. The title read "URGENT," and Taehyung felt sick to his stomach as he read it.

Taehyung,

I know you're out of town, although Jin won't tell me where...or why he flew off too. I also knew that you'd answer your phone if I called so late at night, and since there's nothing you can do, there's no sense in that. Still, I wanted to let you know as soon as I could.

Park Hyojun's had a heart attack.

His wife called and said they took him to the ER. He needs a quadruple bypass and will be off work for at least a month or more. Mina cried and said to thank you for covering the insurance premiums after the rate increase last year. If you hadn't increased the company contribution, he wouldn't have coverage. When things settle down, she plans to bake you a batch of her famous cinnamon rolls.

I know I'm old enough to be your father, and although I've never acted like one to you, tonight I'm going to make an exception. I'm proud of you, Taehyung. You stepped up when your brother wouldn't. I know you've made sacrifices, even if no one else noticed. You could have easily given up, but you hung on instead. We both know how hard it would be for a fifty-seven-year-old man to start over in his career. Poor Hyojun would probably be jobless and destitute if you hadn't gone above and beyond to keep this place afloat. I just wanted you to know it hasn't gone unnoticed.

Chan

A lump burned in Taehyung's throat and he blinked back tears. He'd known Hyojun since he was a kid. The guy was like an uncle to Taehyung and Jin. Part of him wanted to say screw it all, hop on a plane, and go check on him. But the email was also a sharp reminder of the original purpose of his trip. He would do Hyojun more good here. His father's business wasn't something he could drop in the dust behind him just because he was considering a life with Jeon Jungkook. Hell, there was a good chance the younger's father had played a part in the subterfuge that might well lead to Park Hyojun's future joblessness.

Tae had spent almost half his life sacrificing his personal life to keep the business from floundering. Now was not the time to change course. Lives hung in the balance. With newfound determination, he pulled up the document folders and began to search for any titles that could lead to evidence incriminating Jeon Seongjin. While he suspected the man wasn't devious enough to pull something like this off on his own, he could very well be part of the scheme. And moreover, he might be the weakest link. Taehyung couldn't ignore the phone call he'd overheard two nights ago.

Seongjin had more folders on his hard drive than Taehyung had expected, but most bore clients' names and contained reports. After several minutes of searching, he decided his time would be better spent searching Seongjin's emails.

Turned out he had two email accounts open—one business, one personal. He checked the business account first. He started his search by reviewing the emails sent and received around the time his firm would have would have gotten ahold of the plans for the part, then moved on to the timeframe during which they would have applied for the patent. When he didn't discover anything significant, he moved to Wednesday and the days preceding. There were in-house congratulatory emails regarding the notification that the patent had been approved, and a few about Jungkook's upcoming wedding, but everything else was client-related.

So what was up with the phone call?

Jin had said he suspected the perpetrator still had the plans but wouldn't keep them at the office in case someone came across the incriminating evidence. What if the same principle could be applied to his emails? If he wanted to hide evidence from the firm, it would be safer to use his personal account.

The search took more time than he'd planned. Twenty minutes had passed and Jungkook would be ready to go any minute. Taehyung switched over to the personal account, and he was thankful to see Seongjin had fewer emails in this one. That made one stand out all the more: The sender was Oh, Byun, and Lee, Attorneys at Law. He clicked to open it and started reading.

Mr. Jeon,

After examination of the paperwork you've provided, we feel you are safe from litigation—

"Tae?" Jungkook said softly.

His head jerked up, and though he tried to hide the fact he was startled, the grin on Jungkook's face let him know he wasn't off the hook. He sucked in a breath, overcome anew by his beauty. Jungkook wore a simple white t-shirt that contrasted with his dark hair.

Focus, Taehyung.

"I didn't mean to scare you," he said, entering the room.

Tae clicked over to his own email tab, trying to keep the action smooth so Jungkook wouldn't notice.

"You must be intent on your work. Did you get an answer to your problem?"

He swallowed as the younger moved next to him, his hand resting on his shoulder.

"Actually, I got a little more clarity."

Jungkook's fingertips moved to his neck, massaging the tense muscles at the base of his neck. "That's a good thing, right?" he asked sweetly.

Taehyung's eyes sunk closed as he fought an inner battle. Could he continue carrying on with him this way, knowing full well that he and Jin were doing everything in their power to bring his father's firm down? Up until now, everything had been circumstantial. He had no idea what else that email might say, but he had a feeling it was their first piece of hard evidence.

"Yeah," he murmured, unable to make eye contact. "It's a good thing."

"Then why do you sound so glum?"

Tae looked up at him, trying to keep his voice from breaking. "Sometimes the answer we get isn't always the one we want."

Talk about the understatement of his life.

-----

A/N: i'm frustrated at the fact that Tae still hasn't spilled the beans to Kookie yet,,,