Chapter 3: Black Ice

Start from the beginning

"Sometimes the truth starts as an empty feeling inside us. It's waiting for the other part of the truth that has real shape. Like a puzzle piece." Obsidian said calmly and faced Zul.

"Woah. That's really deep, my zaan. Maybe you're right," Zul Sharr said just as Lexa entered the living room.

"Tonight, Amaya will be our catalyst. There has to be sacrifice

in order to cause discord."

Zul Sharr cringed at her words. "I want minimal bloodshed, Lexa."

Lexa had a red lollipop in hand. "Oh, Sire. How else will we catch attention? It's like we're waving a treat at them." She waved the lollipop in front of his face.

Zul blinked at her and pushed his head back.

"Temptation will lure them in and then when they think they'll get it..." She licked the candy and popped it into her mouth. Lexa's lips curled up her face as if they were the body of a snake, fitting the venom in her voice. "They're trapped."

Amaya opened her eyes. The browns dull, yet the specks of light that sat over the colour seemed to tremble. She sat up as her burgundy hair fell over her shoulder like a curtain. She wasn't sure when her braid had unfurled. Amaya groaned as she stood up and walked toward the door of the bedroom.

It's time Amaya. Come down stairs and meet your partner. Lexa's voice echoed in her mind. Among the distant thoughts of her mother, her sister and her fiancée. She could hardly grasp the memories. The smell of sea water, the glittering stars in the sky muddled her mind. She thought she could taste the salt and that distinct taste as you would drink water and it would quench your thirst.

I don't need a partner. Finding the fox is my business. Tell me what you want, first. So that your plans are met. Amaya replied back as she opened the door. It sounded a small clunk. She stood straight.

How wise. You and your partner will be playing with the water tonight. The swamp will be your playground.

Be specific. Amaya said, her voice sounded grating in her mind. She walked towards the white marbled stairs.

You're no fun. Lexa's voice said back to her. Amaya could imagine her pouting at her.

Come downstairs and I'll reveal our plan. Lexa's voice faded from her mind.

The thought of her friends entered Amaya's mind next, and then her family again. Fortunately, she had a week off of school since it was the fall. Her friends were also all busy with their jobs, so if she didn't call them in a month, they wouldn't worry. But, they would contact her sometime, and she needed to find a way home. At least after finding her fox of a cousin.

That fervent need to find him and seek answers was like a pulse in her heart. That was all she could mostly think of. Her mother didn't mind if she visited too often, since she knew Amaya was busy. But, what of her fiancée Tamaki? He would definitely call her. She fiddled with the ring around her finger on her left hand. She didn't have anything with her. She'd left everything at the beach. The beach. Panic rose in her, heat that radiated in her chest. Soon, the panic was swallowed up by the need to hunt the fox.

***

"And you said you saw this girl here?" An officer asked as he stood in front of a woman. He kept his shoulders straight and he stood with his legs wide apart. He kept his hands in his pockets.

The words police line do not cross repeated over a yellow line of tape. They circled one area of the beach close to the shore. A team of investigators were standing inside the line. A small blue bag was plopped in the middle of a pink blanket. Granules of sand speckled the items. A white umbrella printed with hearts lay next to it, it had fallen as the wind picked up.