Chapter 3: Black Ice

Below the moon one with hooves stood upon a bed of autumn leaves. Oranges and browns contrasted to the black of his skin. The feathers which sprouted from his shoulder bones opened up like the expansive night. He was awaiting Lexa for details. She'd told him earlier that something was going to be started. He didn't need to wait any longer. His purpose would be fulfilled. He was unsure how long he had been standing here, where the mansion behind him stretched out like an obelisk.

His head turned to the sky. What was he waiting for? He had this hollow sensation above his heart. An emptiness for someone he needed to see. His head turned, both ears and horn catching a glimpse of moonlight. The snow started to fall and speckled his body like stars. The black unicorn's eyes met with the green of Lexa's.

"Obsidian, are you done staring into the sky yet? We're going." Lexa's voice wrung with enthusiasm.

"We're ready?" The wind played with Obsidian's mane as it circled his head like the leaves at his hooves.

"I have someone you need to meet first." Lexa turned and walked back to the mansion.

As he began trotting down the small hill after her, his heart pounded. Somewhere within his very being, he knew whoever it was, it was not the one his heart had been waiting to see.

Obsidian folded his wings as he walked through the door after Lexa. The massive black door opened up to a luxurious villa. The hall lead to the living room, where Zul Sharr sat at on one of the black sofas. He was hunched over. His fingers steepled and his arms resting on his knees. Rana was folded in the maroon loveseat with a notebook and pen in hand. She turned her head as Lexa spoke.

"How is our swimmer doing?"

"She's been asleep in the room since you've been gone," Zul Sharr said as he stood up and walked toward Obsidian.

"Oh. Well, I'll tell her to come down and meet her partner." Lexa's expression was marked by her amusement as she headed to the kitchen. "But first, I need a treat!" She peeked her head from the wall and then entered the kitchen.

Obsidian's hooves clopped against the brown glossed floor.

"So, how's it like to finally be in on the plans?" Zul Sharr asked as he smirked and wrapped on arm over Obsidian's neck.

"Useful." Obsidian replied and shook his head. The melted snow had run a passage through his mane.

"Uh, yeah. You've been waiting a long time too." Zul Sharr breathed in through his nose and folded his arms across his chest. "Haven't you been up to anything while being here?" He'd been craving to talk to another man. Even if that man was a male unicorn with wings. He'd take whatever he got.

"Just gathering information, and training. This is the first time Lexa has me working with all of you." Obsidian said as he and Zul sharr stood in the middle of the living room.

"Well, come on, get your energy up. Personally, I can't wait to learn about blood manipulation. Although it sounds rather scary." Zul said and widened his eyes at the thought.

Obsidian glanced at Zul and then at the stairs. "Have you been trying to awaken the princess?"

Zul Sharr pressed his lips together, forming a straight line. After a moment's pause, he spoke. "Yeah. I've tried Lexa's magic. Nothing's been working. I've decided it's time for me to do something. Maybe I just need to learn how to manipulate iron when it's in someone's body. It'll get easier to do it when someone's encased in it?" Zul Sharr almost felt easy going as he spoke to Obsidian. He hadn't had many male friends to speak to. When he was living as a prince, he had a few people he knew. Most didn't know him too well. They just saw what he showed them. His humorous, empathetic and helpful side. But, no one knew about his mother's abuse, or the numbness he felt, the anger that chewed him from the inside, except for one boy. But, he'd lost contact with that friend a long time ago.