Chapter 19

June awoke with the daylight streaming in through the window of Nico's room. She didn't remember falling asleep, but assumed that Nico had brought her up here after the final fight with Fredrick. She had slept for what seemed like a week, her body unrelenting as it tried to regain the strength she had lost. Slowly she rose up, her body aching and hurting in ways she didn't know it could. Her mouth was sore from Fredrick's kick, her mouth still tasting copper as she stood groggily and walked towards the sink on the side of Nico's flat.

She drank a glass of water, it feeling strange against her teeth as she looked around the room lazily. She knew she probably looked awful, her hair sticking to the back of her head as her body complained each time she decided to move. The couch that sat in front of the TV looked like a good place to think of what her next move was as she stepped lightly over to it, letting her body crash against the cushions. She took a deep breath in and let it out slowly. Nico wasn't in the room, not surprising her really. He had been weak yesterday, but a couple days of rest probably set him right. She on the other hand, probably needed a year to get over the past few days. 

She looked down at her body, noticing she wasn't wearing her white slip she had been in last time she was conscious. She was wearing a cotton T-shirt with some band name vinyl across the chest. She smiled at the strangeness of the attire. She hadn't worn something like this in what seemed like forever. It smelt like Nico, the nice musk of sandalwood evident as she breathed in the fabric.

"Wonder where he is?" she thought hazily. 

She decided to turn on the TV, the remote on a nearby coffee table as she flicked it on. Suddenly she felt wide awake, the news rapid with alerts across the screen.

ORDER TAKEN OVER BY INDEPENDENT MILITIA

HUMANS TO BE RELEASED, LET FREEDOM RING!

REBELLION SUCCEEDS IN TAKING DOWN GILEAD, MORE NEWS TO FOLLOW

SERUM TO BE GIVEN TO ALL HALF BREEDS AT LOCAL CLINICS, SCIENTIFIC BREAK THROUGH TO CURE ALL HUMANS THAT HAVE BEEN TURNED BY THE ORDER

GOVERNMENT ISSUES CELEBRATORY DAY FOR ALL, FESTIVITIES IN THE STREETS OF EVERY MAJOR CITY

"They did it" June breathed out in shock "They really did it."

All across the screen she watched commanding vampires being taken into custody from Rebellion members, the news stating that order was about to return to what was once the United States. She stood shocked, watching people in the city streets begin celebrating, humans and half breeds alike waving their hands in the air. 

"Luke" June said wanting to know immediately if they had made it.

Suddenly she heard the door open downstairs and footsteps echoing out as Nico's figure appeared holding bags under his arms.

"Good morning" he said with a smile. June looked over at him and sensed something different about him. She watched as he moved towards her and she gasped when she saw what was different.

"What did you do to your eyes!?" June said realizing they didn't reflect from the light anymore.

"I took the serum. They were distributing it at the clinic a few blocks away. There was a lot of people there as well. I guess they are trying to restore order as quickly as possible" he said sitting beside her.

"What?!" June said in shock "Why would you do that?!"

He had turned mortal....the serum they had talked about on the TV, he had actually gone out and taken it. No longer did his eyes reflect from the light outside, his demeanor now almost....calm. He didn't appear anymore to be threatening, and as he smiled at her she marveled at the way his canines had sunk back into their normal place in his gums.