Chapter 6

June walked upstairs, almost shaking in her shoes. Why would Serena want to talk to her? Didn't she already hate her enough? What was she going to do to her this time?

The house seemed so large compared to any June had ever been in. The halls filled with artwork that was surely forbidden for any human to own, with plants that seemed to flourish even if they remained inside. June walked down the eastern hallway till she came to the door she assumed was Serena's based on Rita's directions. She walked towards the door, she knew it was now Serena's by the gaudy decorations all over the door and handle. June knocked lightly and heard Serena's voice tell her to enter. 

June stepped into the room and kept her head down. The carpet was gold with little fringes of red shining in the dim candlelight. Her bedroom must have been separate from Fredrick's, as she sat alone on her colossal bed dawned with huge gold pillows and satin. A fireplace crackled as it burned brightly, illuminating the greenery within the room as deep blue curtains sparkled against the firelight.

"Come forward Offred" Serena said beckoning her closer to the bed. She didn't wish to move, but her feet obeyed her none the less. June felt her throat almost close up, she didn't want to be in here, she wanted to run. The Wifemate could do what she wanted with June, and dying didn't seem the best option at the moment, especially by a jealous vampire.

"I know last night I seemed a little...harsh, towards you" Serena started, her posture graceful as she lay against the pillows, lighting a cigarette in her hand "But I have a proposition for you, I will give you my key to your wrist clasp, and allow you another gift, if you let Nicholiah feed from you." June could feel her chest tighten in apprehension, knowing that this was forbidden in every rule book. It didn't matter what Serena wanted, if Fredrick said it was not allowed then it wasn't. 

 "He is my son, and as a mother it hurts me seeing his father indulge in a perfectly good human and not letting his son taste pure untouched blood, or for heaven's sake you may look up, stop staring at the floor you silly girl" Serena huffed through a cloud of smoke.

June jumped at her change of tone and quickly looked up at Serena. She was dressed in a large black gown that cascaded far to the ground in waves and curves. It made June in awe and slightly jealous, having been cast to a thin hospital gown for the past three years while this woman was always dressed to the nines. Wait, she wasn't a woman.....not really. She was a vampire just like the rest of them....

"Now two things are going to happen, you are going to keep quiet about our little discussion and never let Fredrick see that you are giving Nicholiah blood" Serena said staring into June's eyes. June nodded, understanding that it was better for both of them that this remain a secret.

 "Second, you will return here afterwards and let me make sure that your skin is healed up so that the Commander doesn't find out, and then I will give you a gift, is that acceptable to your terms?" Serena said inhaling another breathe of smoke. 

June contemplated the deal, knowing she would certainly be put to death if Fredrick found out, but if she didn't agree to Serena's terms, she could be sent to the Farm. It would be an easy replacement, for both of them. But who did she fear more, Serena, or Fredrick?

"Yes ma'am" June said deciding, still staring. She was beginning to have a problem with it, staring that is, she couldn't take her eyes of the beauty of Serena, and how luxurious her room was. She could see why Serena would be jealous of June, she was beautiful, smart, and had style, in yet Fredrick kept his sole attention on June at all times.

"Now I have talked to the Guardians and have managed to get the Eyes off of the garden in the back, I told them I didn't like them watching me while I garden, so they agreed to turn the cameras off for one hour. For that one hour you are to go into the garage and let Nicholiah feed, then return here before they turn them back on again, understood?" she said now standing up.