Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The shock of the cattle prod woke June up in a scream. It hissed and popped as it hit her soft flesh and left smoke drifting up into June's nose.

"Time to wake up 2406J" the Aunt said with a wicked smile "Your Commander awaits."

June woke up and combed her fingers through her long blonde hair trying to look somewhat presentable. She had this bad habit of wanting to look decent, a habit picked up by her mother's constant reminder that she was a lady and not a ragdoll.

June slipped off the wool nightgown, almost sighing in relief that the cloth was off of her skin. She dressed in the red gown and shoes then looked down at herself. The dress was tight, but she suspected that the cloak would cover up her body enough, and it fitted to her body almost perfectly. The shoes were red moccasins with soft fur inside of them and June wiggled her toes feeling comfort for the first time in three years. It was strange to appreciate the fine things she was wearing knowing that they came from her owners. The thought turned sour in June's mind as she now regarded the dress and shoes with contempt. They were not hers to wear for pleasure, but to show that she was a object.

The Aunt watched June carefully. Someone was always watching. Nothing could change for them. It all had to be the same, look the same, or the system would fall apart. 

"Put your veil on human" the Aunt said scornfully, June did as she was told and pulled over the white veil she had strapped around her head "Remember your scripture. Blessed are the meek."

 Veils were used so that other vampires would not be tempted to drink from a Bloodmaid and keep their privacy for their owners. As June was about to leave she looked to Sarah, still sleeping soundly in her cot and gently stroked her forehead. She bent down quickly and whispered into the child's ear. "Someday, I will find you, and we will be together again" she said as the Aunt pulled her from the girl. June wanted to scream and push the Aunt away, watching as Sarah's tiny body began fading from her view the more and more the female vampire pulled June away. She hated this, hated them for separating her from Sarah, from Luke....

"Blessed are those who suffer for the cause of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom in Heaven...." she would remember this. She had to suffer, to do the right thing. And that was whatever it was that would keep Sarah safe. This was survival, it was what humans had to do now.

They walked past the cots, all full of wide eyed staring humans. Some had looks of fear for her, others jealousy, but most of them just stared blankly at her, their souls gone from their bodies leaving an empty shell. They had broken the human spirit in this place, draining them of not only blood but of hope. They had killed their families, had taken away their freedom and taken them from their own homes. It made June sick to look at them, wanting to fight but knowing to do so would be her death. She had to survive, for Sarah.

June took the stairs up to the Aunts break room and out the door into the fresh air of night. It was the first time she was outside at nighttime, the Aunts only let them out for one hour during the day and then it was back inside. They said that the vampires could taste the sun in the blood, which is why they craved it so, but too much and it could make the vampires sick.

The stars sparkled above the vast black night and June shivered as she stared up above. The Aunt put the coat around her shoulders and pushed her gently towards the limo that was waiting outside of the building. Two Guardians stood outside the door, they were the lower class male vampires that did the meaningless work of the government and were almost practically everywhere. They stood as direct as tin soldiers, their black SWAT armor making them almost shadows as June looked away from the helmets they wore to hide their expressions.