Chapter 6: The Opening Ceremony

A few hours later, I'm in the most beautiful dress I've ever seen.

It's made shiny metal pieces the same hue of gray as my eyes, which are connected by wires. Somehow, as if by magic, they moved, sliding across my skin like they were trying to form into a puzzle. My boots are made of the same technology, along with the tiara on my head. It shines in the light of the room, like a metal disco-ball. My hair was in a long braid that cascaded down my back.

"How does this work?" I asked Blitzen, who was smiling at me.

"I'd love to get into the details, but we don't have time," He told me. I made a mental note to ask him later.

A few minutes later, Malcolm showed up, dressed in a suit made of the same material of my dress. His metal is a bit darker, matching his eyes instead of mine. His blond hair was slicked back, and his glasses were gone, replaced with contact lens. At least, I hoped they were. His stylist, Venus, a beautiful woman who probably didn't need all the makeup she was wearing, and his prep team accompanied him.

Then we're whisked down to the bottom level of the Remake Center, a.k.a a giant stable. The Opening Ceremony is about to start, and tributes are loading onto their chariots. Our chariot is silver, and our horses are grey. They're so well trained, they don't even need reins.

I see Percy out of the corner of my eye. He's talking to the girl from his district, and looks like a sea god, complete with a toga and a trident. He sees me staring, and winks at me. I quickly look away.

Then the opening music starts. It's easy to hear, seeing as it's being blasted through the Capitol. Massive doors slide open, revealing crowded streets that we will soon be trotting down, until we end up at City Circle, where President Kronos will say a few words. Then we'll be escorted to the Training Center, or home/prison until the games.

The tributes from District 1 roll out, their outfits reflecting all the light from the streets. They glitter like diamonds, and the crowd roars with approval. They are always favorites.

Then District 2 rolls out, and then us. The crowd gasps when they see us, and start cheering loudly. I guess they've never seen a moving dress before.

I raise my hand to wave, and, to my surprise, the metal starts climbing up my arm, forming a sleeve. The crowd goes wild when they see that. I remember the advice Vulcan gave us on the train; head high, back straight, smile noticeable but not too wide, waving small and controlled.

The crowd starts cheering. "District 3! District 3! District 3!" Taking the focus off the two chariots in front of us. I look up at the television screen, and see myself. I look breathtaking, and almost look like I'm glowing. I gain some confidence and blow some kisses into the crowd. The people pretend to grab them.

I hear a laugh from behind me, and turn to see Percy, grinning, apparently not caring that I'm getting all his attention. I blow him a kiss, too, and he pretends to catch it. Somehow, the crowd goes even more nuts.

I feel a flicker of hope. Surely, one of those people calling my name is rich enough to sponsor me. Blitzen has just given me a huge advantage. People will remember me now.

The twelve chariots fill the loop of City Circle. This is where all the richest citizens of the Capitol are. Our chariots stop right in front of President Kronus' mansion, and, with one final flourish, the music stops the second the District 12 chariot rolls to a stop.

The President stands up and starts his welcoming speech. I've heard it enough times I could recite it off memory, and I don't take in a word he says. Instead, I look at the other tributes. At the tributes from District 5, whose outfits are covered in what must be fake electricity. At the tributes from District 11, in outfits looking like they were woven out of grass. At the tributes from District 7, looking like trees in their strange bark-like outfits.

After the president finishes his speech, we do one more loop of City Circle before heading towards the Training Center. I notice that we get most of the screen time, judging from the T.v hanging above the President's mansion.

The second we get inside the Training Center, ou prep teams engulf us with hugs and praise. Even Atlanta says 'you did great', and pats me on the back.

I notice other tributes shooting us dirty looks, confirming what I thought; we outshone them all. Except for Percy, that is. While the girl from his district glares at us, he's smiling, and when he notices me looking at me, he shoots me a thumbs-up.

I smile at him, and he blows me a kiss. I pretend to catch it.

Blitzen notices what I did. "Whatever you're playing at with the District 4 boy, keep it up."

I blink at him."What?"

"The Capitol's eating it up," He said. "Everyone's talking about the whole blow-and-catch kiss thing you too pulled. I don't know if you're friends or what, but keep it up."

I wasn't 'playing at' anything with Percy, heck, I'd never even spoke to the guy. But if Blitzen was saying what I thought he was saying...

"Are you saying that people in the Capitol are thinking there's something going on between us?" I asked. "As in romantically?"

Blitzen grinned. "Your ship name is percabeth."

I had no idea what that meant, but I decided to take it as a yes. I looked at Percy again, who was talking to a woman who had her back to me and somehow looked oddly familiar.

"Now, it's time to show you to your suite!" Minerva said. I hadn't even noticed her arrive, and yet here she was, dressed up in her classic owl-look.

Malcolm and I exchanged a glance, before following his mother to the elevators on the other side of the room.