Chapter Thirty-Two: Solitude

Start from the beginning

Her silvery blue eyes looked as if an ocean had been encased inside of small glass marbles. "Oh, Clark..." Then the smooth spheres appeared to be cracked; the ocean had started to leak, little water droplets streamed down Silvia's pale cheeks. She was so touched that holding back her tears felt impossible.

She didn't know how to thank him for trusting her or show her gratitude in any vocal way. So, she simply wrapped her arms around his neck, standing on her tiptoes to shorten the height difference, and pressed her lips against his. Tears still fell freely from her and her lips quivered against him.

When he finally kissed her back, everything went oddly quiet, like the moment of silence between lightning and thunder. They kissed again. The next kiss is the kind that breaks open the sky. It stole her breath and gave it back to her all at once. It showed her that every other kiss she'd had in her life had been wrong. She was only ever meant to kiss this man and no one else.

She was everywhere up his back and over his arms and suddenly she was kissing him harder, deeper, with a fervent urgent need she'd never known before. Silvia wanted more... and she could have it now, right? There were no more secrets between them. Her fingers travelled down to his chest, moving over the symbol on his chest.

Silvia parted from his lips, hovering only inches away so that when she spoke their lips would almost touch again. "As good as you look in that costume... How exactly do I take it off?"

Clark froze. His eyes were shut tighter than Silvia's were when they were flying. He looked almost pained when he softly pushed away from her. His exhale was heavy, shaky almost. "I'm sorry, we... can't."

Silvia's brow furrowed. "Why not? I get that your morals stopped you before because I didn't know who you are, but now?"

The man looked a little reluctant to answer and so he glanced over at the clock that's ticking suddenly seemed a lot louder than before. "It should be on in a minute... I'll have to show you."

He walked towards the television perched up in his living room and switched it on. He flicked through a few channels before stopping on the news. There was a woman sitting at a desk but Silvia couldn't hear what she was saying until Clark unmuted it.

"NASA has provided us with some incredible footage this afternoon of Superman's startling deflection of the comet 49f's intercept course of Earth." Her voice was smooth and controlled, just like everyone else in her profession. "Recorded by the HERMES-3 orbital satellite, the video shows the Man of Steel ramming head first into the comet, which was measured at approximately two point seven by two point five miles and was traveling at an incredible eighty four thousand miles per hour."

The image flicked to another, of a glowing blue ball speeding to Earth. Silvia blinked and Superman was there, pushing the giant icy rock off course. 'Incredible' was certainly the word for it. The rock was unbelievably large, so much so that Superman was a speck against it, and it was spiralling with such force that Superman's strength was suddenly a lot more real. It was almost confronting.

Superman turned the television back off and looked at her hesitantly. He appeared a little afraid that she'd be scared of him. "That wasn't even my full strength. That asteroid was like a light workout for me... Even though I was poisoned it was no challenge."

Silvia bit her lip but nodded all the same. "I get it. You hold back because you'll hurt me if you don't."

"Silvia..." Clark said, agony in his voice. "I'll kill you if I don't."