~@~

Half an hour, to an hour later, I’m finally finished reading through the papers and being led back to Reign. This time as I walk through the door the cop pays me no peace of mind.

Drew and Floyd sit on either side Reign and Byron at the foot of the bed, a faraway look on his face. I take a seat next to him. After all the time I’d been worrying about Reign and how he might not make it through the night, I’d somehow forgotten that Byron was the one that seemed to really need him, even though it did occur to me that somehow they’d grown apart.

Ignoring the gut feeling to sit by Reign, I take a chance and sit beside Byron which seems to cast him out of his daydream. “You okay?” I ask him, my voice patchy and week. I’d hadn’t been getting much sleep lately, not since Reign was put in here.

My sister, hearing what had happened to Reign had taken recent visits-or as I liked to call them, check-ups- on me. Often I’d spend the whole night by Reigns side, talking to him or simply just holding his hand. I’d once been told that even though they weren’t awake they could hear everything that you told them, right now I hope that’s not the truth. From the things I had told Reign over the month he’d been in a coma would shock anyone.

A rough voice pulls me from my thoughts. “I’m fine, just shocked you know?” He says, “I never thought about the possibilities of him forgetting everyone.” He glances up at Reign, “I thought that once he woke up, I’d simply say sorry for not being there for him as he was for me and we’d be friends again.”

I watch him in silence as he weakly wipes tears from his eyes. What he’s saying is right, I never bothered to think what would happen if he wasn’t okay. I was only allowing myself one point of mind and that was that everything would be okay, that once he woke up I’d just come right out and tell him how I feel, hoping that he’s accept it. I never bothered to think about the bad outcomes.

“Unfortunately life doesn’t work like that.” He continues, looking at me, “I know how you feel about him.” Then he turns back to Reign, talking quietly with Drew and Floyd.

I follow his gaze, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” The last thing I need is to mess up everything for a second time.

“Come on, there’s no denying how you feel about him, I’ve known for a while, and I mean look at him,” He motions with an arm, “Who couldn’t fall in love with him.”

Something in my brain seems to snap into place. I pull my eyes away from Reign to look at Byron, the way his eyes glaze over when he’s looking at Reign, the way his shoulders drop slightly and his hands loosen. I don’t know how I didn’t realise this sooner, Byron is in love with Reign.

“You love him, don’t you?” I whisper, my voice feeling too small.

He doesn’t look at me, “I know I shouldn’t but I can’t help it,” He turns to meet my eye, “I know he loves-loved-you, and somewhere deep down I know he still does. He just doesn’t realise it yet.”

“How long?” I ask.

He shakes his head and turns to look down at his feet. “I had feelings for him ever since I moved here in year 7, I just didn’t know at the time that I loved him. Not until he kissed me.”

Kissed him? A little piece of me fell away when the words left his lips and somehow I wish he would say ‘just kidding’ but that never happens.

I look down to the plain white floor tiles, unable to say anymore. I’d like to save myself the pain. Luckily the door opens and the doctor walks in before Byron can say any more. “The papers have been authorized and Reign’s been given the okay to go home with Mr Alister at the end of the week.” Then he’s gone.

One piece of me lifts at the news while another, much larger piece, pushing me further down into the ground. My eyes don’t leave the floor, and Byron, almost sensing my pain, doesn’t say anymore.

“Who’s Mr Alister?” A small voice says, causing me to hold my breath. “Do I know him?”

“Yeah you know him, he’s your teacher.” Floyd says, “He’s sitting right there.”

“Oh.” Reign says, “Hi, Mr Alister.” His voice is weak, as though it’s missing something to it, a certain ring.

I look up and meet his eyes, finally releasing my breath. His eyes are as blue as I remember but bright an innocent like a newborns. “Hello, Reign.” They too are missing something that made Reign who he was.

“Are you taking me home?” He asks, lowering his voice and looking around as if making sure no one can over hear him, “I don’t like it here, I want to go home now.”

I nod, “I am taking you home but unfortunately not until a few days, a week at the most.”

Small tears form in his eyes, I want to walk over and wrap him in my arms while I whisper sweet nothings to him but I know I can’t. “Where’s my mum?” He asks and it only regesters to me that she was missing.

“She’s gone to work.” Drew says, answering for both Reign and I.

“Where does she work?” He asks.

“All over the place.”

“Do I get to go with her?”

Drew shakes his head, “I’m not sure buddy, you might.”

“Have I ever gone with her before?”

Drew and Floyd share a look and Floyd reluctantly answers, “No, you’ve never gone with her.”

“Where’s my dad?” Reign asks, his voice brightening, “I haven’t seen him yet, will he come and visit me?”

Floyd scratches the back of his neck, not wanting to answer, I save him the trouble. “Your dad isn’t here, he’s gone, for good.”

“Is he dead?” He asks, his voice shaking with fear.

I shake my head, “He’s been locked away so he doesn’t hurt anyone.” I want to say so he doesn’t hurt you but I know that will only bring up more questions, ones of which we can’t answer.

“Well I hope I get to see him one day, I’d like to know who my dad is.” He says, a small smile making its way onto his face.

~@~

[1 week later]

“How far is it to your house?” Reign asks, unable to sit still in his seat.

“Not far, only a few more minutes.” I reply.

For the remainder of the drive home my mind begins to wonder off to the conversation I had with Byron. Ever since then It’d been on my mind whether I should really tell Reign the truth about how I feel, it’s because of my feelings that he got hurt in the first place, it’s because of me that he can’t remember anything and it’s because of me that Reign is hurting Byron.

So it’s settled once and for all, I’m not going to tell Reign that we ever had feelings for each other or that I even fell in love with him, I’m nothing more than his teacher and he’s nothing more than my student. Anything past that point is restricted. He’s let me go so it’s time I do the same.