Chapter 3

[Chapter 3]

“This is your house?” Mr Alister asks in awe as he parks his car.

I nod without a word. He’s seriously asked that nearly 5 times and it’s getting on my nerves. If he doesn’t shut up soon I’m going to have to kill him… not really, relax. I’ll get Drew to do it.

The car rolls to a stop but neither of us make a move to leave. The silence is thick and heavy around us but we don’t break it. I don’t want to break it, strange, I know but it makes my head feel heavy and butterflies to push around in my stomach. Being nervous is something completely new to me, but I don’t know what people are talking about when they say they hate it. I couldn’t love it anymore, it feels like magic.

He’s the one to break the silence, “Where are your parents?” He asks.

I sigh and feel him watching the side of my face but I don’t catch his eyes, “They could be anywhere.” It’s true. One time they called up and said that they were coming home from France. Seriously!? They didn’t even think to take me, to a place I’ve always dreamed to go.

He places a hand on my shoulder, what feels like fire rolls over my skin but doesn’t burn me. I turn to meet his dark brown eyes. We just stare at each other without a word but the silence isn’t thick this time, instead it’s thin and makes it hard to breathe. Out of the blue I get the same feelings I got yesterday when I was looking at Byron, except this time I don’t act on it and push his hand away. With a thin tight smile I leave the car reluctantly, it smelt just like Mr Alister.

I walk up the steps of the house and unlock the door, walking into the cold house. I shake and my teeth chatter as I move throughout the house, to the big wood fire. With shaking hands and a light head I try to start the fire. I feel Mr Alister’s presence behind me, watching, but I continue trying. After a few more tries it finally roars to life and lights the room with a warm glow.

I sit down by the fire for a minute or two, soaking up the warmth before the phone starts ringing on the hook. I groan and walk into the kitchen, Mr Alister following my every move. “You don’t need to follow me everywhere, I’m sure I can make it to the kitchen.” I say but he doesn’t answer.

I pick up the phone angrily without looking at the caller ID. “Reign, it’s me.” A rough voice says on the other side of the phone.

“What do you want dad?” I ask, angry and hurt at the same time. I’d never admit this to anyone but it really hurts me that my parents don’t care about me, the never have. I was raised since day 1 by nannies and baby sitters.

“That’s no way to talk to your father!” He screams back through the phone and Mr Alister raises an eyebrow at me.

I square my chin, “No, dad, it’s not.” I pause to take a calming breath, “Where are you?”

“We’re in Sydney for a business meeting.” He says, “Not that it matters or anything.”

I hear someone else talking to him but I continue talking through the phone, “You missed my competition.”

“Yeah? What one?” He says, half-heartedly while he chats to the other person.

“My running one dad, it’s always running.” I sigh, lowering my head and turning my back to Mr Alister so he can’t see my disappointment.

“How’d you come?” Like he cares.

“First.”

“Aha that’s too bad,” He says and my fury rises, “I’ve got to go. Bye.” He says so fast and hangs up before I can get a word in.