"She framed me, didn't she?" My vertex had a beat of its own, matching the flood of tears I couldn't control. "She hates my guts! That, that snake!... It's all my fault! I lost it... I gave her what she wanted," I babbled on, barely aware that I was revealing too much.

Akram sprang up. His arms hovered around me on each side. "What snake, Mel? I don't..."

The rest of Akram's words evaporated in the air. He was asking questions that I couldn't follow. My head wasn't all there.

It doesn't matter!... A life sentence is waiting for me right outside of the door!

What will Akram think?

He will despise me!

What do I do?

Run!

No! Turn myself in!

No! I need to explain I'm innocent!

Will he believe me?

Will the cops listen?

"She did it, I swear!" I defended, holding up a shaky hand. "She planted more drugs in the bed... or... or in my locker. She wants to destroy me... now the police are here to get me!"

"Drugs?!" He exclaimed. "Who is ..."

"Why are you keeping the police outside?" I shrieked, glaring at Akram's stiff posture. "You can't be in on this, can you? No! No, it's impossible. I'm so sorry!"

The thought that I'd accused him made me sick to my stomach. I hunched forward, wrapping my waist in my arms, my legs about to buckle.

It's Akram! He's the only one on my side! Why the hell did I blame my stupidity on him?!

"There's no one outside," Akram retorted. "The cop's gone!"

My jaw fell open. I pushed myself to straighten​ up, gawking blindly.

"Gone? You mean... gone?!" I raved, sweeping the back of my hand over my face as I tried to make sense of the simple word.

"Yes," Akram confirmed. "He left!"

"No! Please, no!" I cupped my head in my sweaty hands. "You lied to him to protect me? How could you do this? I shouldn't be here... You'll be accused of hiding a criminal!"

I leaped forward, bumping my shin against the coffee table. I almost fell if it weren't for Akram. He gripped my shoulders firmly and steadied me before I broke my face.

"Melody!" He growled, shaking me lightly. "For the love of God, stop rambling and listen to me!"

His fierce tone made me snap out of my tantrum. I stared like a dummy at his flushed face and his clenched jaws.

"Nobody's here to get you," Akram said slowly. He dropped his hands, his tone back to soothing. "The cop was here for my stolen car."

My eyes fluttered, brain cells frozen​ for a long moment.

"Your car was s-stolen?" I whispered.

"Yesterday." He nodded. "My cellphone too."

"Is that why you...?" My question came out hoarse and unintelligible.

"I didn't want to scare you."

The gears began to shift inside my brain, eyes growing wider and wider. "Were you attacked again?"

MELODY (Book 1) ✓जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें