Dawn nodded sadly, as if he had thought that this would happen. "You had a... fall," he said softly. "I put you back together."

(If any of you get that reference I'll be very happy! XD)

I suddenly got a massive urge to move around. I needed to get out of this bed, out of this cave, out of this entire place.

Pulling the blanket off my thin body, I noticed that my legs had the same vertical stitches in them as my arms, but my feet were the same as my hands. Shiny metal was attached to my ankles, molded into the rough shape of bare feet, just with no spaces for toes. The soles had tiny holes in them, which emitted a light heat.

Dawn bent down beside himself and picked up a pile of fabric, and placed it next to me.

It was a gray hoodie with a dark gray shirt, thicker than what I was wearing now. There were also a pair of casual black jeans and gray and white shoes.

"I thought you might want some of your old clothes, and some new stuff too," Dawn said. "It'll be a little more comfortable than what I gave you for... the operation." He trailed off at the end.

"Ok, thanks," I replied, realizing that it was going to be difficult to figure it out now.

I slipped the shirt and the hoodie on, covering my mechanical heart. I pulled the pants on, but Dawn picked the shoes back up before I could get them.

"I need test something," he said. "Can I help you stand up?"

"Sure," I rasped in my mechanical voice. I extended my metal hand out to him, and Dawn took it, firmly yanking me to my feet. My head swam, and I stumbled, leaning on his shoulder for support. My metal feet wobbled, and I could feel the heat coming out of the soles rising through my body.

"Ok," Dawn said. "Now focus all your will on standing up. Not anything else, just standing."

I gave him a look, but didn't question it.

I focused on straightening my legs, locking my ankles. Suddenly, a strange, obscure memory of doing the same thing, but in a field of green grass, with pale, bare feet. Not these cold, metal things that I had now. But as fast as it had came, the flash was gone, lost in the folds of time.

But the instant it did, something clicked in my ankles, and my entire body lifted off the ground, suspended in midair.

"WOAH!" I gasped in surprise and astonishment. Dawn clapped and whistled in praise as I flung out my arms for balance. Looking down, I saw a muted gray light shining out of the soles of my feet, hitting the ground and keeping me aloft.

Despite myself, I started grinning from ear to ear, excitement filling me like a tidal wave. Adrenaline rushed through my head, making me giddy.

Dawn was also ecstatic about this accomplishment, almost unable to contain himself. His clapping echoed throughout the cave, bouncing off the walls.

I lifted one foot higher than the other, testing out this ability. I wobbled in the air, and my heart dropped for a second, but I stayed up, and I kept going.

I leaned forward. The rockets on my feet propelled my body forward, directly at a wall. "WOAH!" I yelled in surprise, and windmilled my legs in the other direction, trying to slow myself down. I skidded to a stop, and breathed a sigh of relief. I turned around to look at Dawn. He was grinning from ear to ear.

He waved me back over. With a little less force, I flew back over to him, making a not-so-elegant stop at his feet, landing on my knees. I couldn't even feel the pain over my adrenaline rush.

"You have no idea how happy I am that that worked," Dawn said giddily. He offered a hand to me. I took it and stood up.

"That was so much fun!" I breathed happily. "Whoever I was before this, they probably didn't have flying powers like me!"

Dawn's face fell. He looked like someone had sucked all the air out of him. I looked down at his hands. And I gasped. They were just... gone. Like someone had taken a white out cue tip and erased them. As I watched, his arms disappeared as well, slowly going invisible.

Dawn looked down at his hands, or the space where they were, and sighed. "I'm sorry. That happens when I get nervous or stressed. I guess it's normal for me." He looked back up. "I'll tell you all I know about your past in due time, and I'll tell you what I know about mine, too. Hopefully it'll help you understand more."

I nodded, still slap happy from what I'd done.

"Good. But first...." Dawn bent down and picked something up from behind him. "You need to see something."

He held the object out to me. It was a mirror. I suddenly froze. I dreaded seeing my reflection, based on what had happened to the rest of my body.

With trembling hands, I took the mirror, and held it up to my face.

I gasped.

You all know what I saw.

(Cory breaking the fourth wall to help the progress of the story XD)

But it wasn't the massive camera lens that was embedded into my face, just above my top lip, that scared me.

It was the fact that as soon as I saw it, flashes started pouring into my head.

I saw a tunnel.

I saw this very cavern that we stood in right now.

I saw a black rock with a strange symbol on it.

I saw Dawn's face, high above me.

And I saw my reflection. The camera.

I looked at Dawn, broken from my trance. "I died, didn't I." I said blankly.

Dawn hesitated, then nodded sadly. "Yes Cory. Yes you did."

--------

Phew. Finally, that's done. I had SEVERE writer's block in this, and it took me forever to write.

I didn't want to take Cory's memory away, but apparently that's what happens when you die and get brought back to life, so yeah... I bent those rules a little bit, just so it's more interesting. ☺️

Next chapter is going to be EPIC!! I have a really good idea for it, but just so you know, by the time it takes place, Dawn has told Cory everything he knows. This won't make much sense now, but it will eventually...

If you haven't seen my profile thingy, I added something that... you know what? I'll just explain it again to save your time. I have made a little bit of a schedule for TFOOL, (The Fight of Our Lives) and WWCP (When We Cross Paths.) I am going to try to update these every Friday or Saturday. It depends if I have it done or not. Like I said, I'm a slow writer who writes long chapters... XD

Have a sweet tweet day!!