A Bloody Time

Three years has gone by. Max and I grew closer to each other, and even went into a serious relationship. Valentine has already turned nine, and has learned lots over the years.

We still haven't found the father figure. We've came very close but the closer we got, the more dead ends we came to. Jacob was finally free from Malaria, and is now happy that she is gone. Jayden stayed the same but decided to work with his brother to earn some money for us just incase something went wrong.

Today was the day Max and I were going to get married. I was happy and full of joy. It was an event with only our friends, since we had no family.

It was around ten morning of and I was getting ready for our wedding. I put on my dress, and had some assistance putting on my makeup. There were only three more hours until Max and I were finally married.

"You look pretty Karma." Valentine said to me with a big smile on her face. "When I grow up, I want to look just like you."

"Thank you Valentine, but I'm certain that you'll look even more beautiful when you grow up."

She squeezed me with her adorable hug, and went off to play with the other girls. I looked at myself in the mirror and loved what I saw.

"Thank you Melana." I said to the lady who was helping me.

"It's no problem, you look stunning." She complimented me. "I'll be right back, would you like me to get you something?"

"No, it's fine."

I walked over to the window, and sat down on the big comfortable chair. There were a few people here and there, all of them were hunters just like us. Some of them brought their friends and family to the event. 

To me there was something off, something that didn't settle for me.  My stomached ached and I had a bad feeling. I wanted to see if there were any red eyes, but I couldn't. That part of me was out of my control unfortunately. 

My eyes narrowed down on an older man, he was just standing outside the gate. He didn't talk to anyone, nor did anyone go over to him. I should asked someone if they know who he is, but I shrugged it off. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he just didn't feel like socializing. Or the people around him could have made him mad. Either way, I assumed it wasn't my business so I just ignored him, thinking he would cause no harm.

I went on to a different path of thought. Besides today being our anniversary, it also marked the third year of me meeting Max. I couldn't believe that three years has gone by with me being on Earth. Every now and then I would think how I got into that alleyway, why I was there, and what had happened to me. It was a huge mystery in my life, that none of us of us could figure out.

I snapped out of my thoughts from Melana. We sat together and talked to each other about many things. She too knew about my background, and told me about her childhood. Unlike a lot of others here, she had to grow up with this life. To hunt, gather information, and help normal people from the unnatural supernatural. They were all basically superheros, and it was sad to see that they don't get paid enough to live in a house. Most of the people here, and many other hunters call the road their home. It seemed like a horrid life to live, but I also had to join it since day one.

"I wish Valentine, and the other kids didn't have to go through it." I spoke

"I know, but it's a life given to some people who are willing to sacrifice it all."

"But growing up like warriors, just... isn't human, it doesn't feel right."

"Nothing was ever human to begin with Karma, we just have to deal with it until the end."