○ e i g h t ○

As Christmas drew closer, Joji and I began staying at each other's apartments more and more. I would do my voice lessons and he would come over, and we would drink or smoke and talk about deep shit, like the cruel, harsh truth about the world or how shitty the human race was. It was great, having someone to talk to about absolutely anything and everything about the world.

"Did you wanna stay at my place for Christmas?" He asked on Christmas eve. I nodded and looked around his apartment. I had no family or other friends to spend my holiday with.

"Well you should decorate your apartment at least. Maybe get a tree, yeah?" I suggested and he sighed, kissing the top of my head.

"I have a box of decorations, under my bed. I'll go get it and we'll get it done yeah?" He murmured, nudging me to scoot over. I did so and he disappeared into his room for a moment, and he returned with a small box in his hand. He set it down and pulled out a small, 2 foot tall tree and some decorations, and a small bundle of mistletoe. I grinned and hung it over the arch leading into his hallway, and he chuckled, pecking me on the lips.

"Let's set this tree up, Joj."

~

Soon, the little tree was lit up, and decorated nicely. He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me close to him, as we admired the dull yellow twinkles of the Christmas lights. By this time, the sun had set, so the room was dim and in the moment, I finally felt peace. I felt him slide something out of his sweatshirt pocket, and he revealed a small box to me. It was wrapped in gold paper, and had some japanese symbols on it.

"That's one of your nicknames. This is one of my few gifts for you, (y/n). I know it's not much, but I got something meaningful." He explained, placing the package under the tree. "You can either open it now or on Christmas day." I grinned.

"We can each pick one gift. I'll go pick up my 3 gifts and you can choose one!" I suggested. He nodded, and I grabbed my keys, jogging to grab his gifts. I wondered what was in the box, and I grabbed the wrapped presents off my counter.

I entered his apartment and set his down in a pile on one side of the tree, while my 4 small gifts were on the other side. He handed me the smallest box, the one with the japanese writing on it, and I gave him a small package. He took it and we stared at each other for a moment.

"You open yours first." I chimed, sitting down on his couch. He sat beside me and opened up the small package. Inside was a black baseball cap that read "オマンコ" I knew very well what it read, and he let out a hearty laugh. I called him a cunt often, so I figured a hat that had the title on it suited him perfectly.

"Fuck you!" He chuckled, wrapping his arms around me, and kissing my head sweetly. I giggled and he nodded to the small gold package in my hands. I looked at it and carefully undid the packaging, as not to tear the beautiful golden paper. The wrapping had "ベビーガール" written on it, and I dismissed it.

"The package said babygirl, if you were wondering." He murmured, his lips pressed to my ear. I shuddered with a snicker and opened up the small black box. Inside was a necklace. It was a small heart with another even smaller heart on the inside, and where the outer edges of the small heart and the inner edges of the bigger heart were connected lay two sapphire gems. Our birthstone.

"Oh George, it's beautiful." I breathed, examining the necklace. He grinned and picked it up, clipping it around my neck.

"I saw it at a swap meet, and I had to get it for you." He murmured, pressing a sweet kiss to my lips. I rested my head against his shoulder, sighing deeply.

"Merry Christmas, Joji." I whispered, the clock striking midnight.