Chapter 11

WHEN ADAM CAME HOME FROM PRACTICE, HE WAS GREETED BY THE SOUNDS OF YELLING.

Expletives and insults were thrown around the room as his parents fought.

"YOU NEVER COME HOME! I SEE YOU SO LITTLE, I'VE ALMOST FORGOTTEN WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE!"

"YOU KNOW THIS JOB WAS A HUGE COMMITMENT AND ACCEPTED THAT WHEN WE MARRIED!"

"WELL, NOW I THINK I'M STARTING TO REGRET THAT DECISION!"

Adam backed up and slammed the door shut. He sat down on the small steps leading up to his front door, resting his head on his folded hands as he watched cars drive past.

He didn't move from his position until the yelling had stopped and the angry footsteps and stomping diminished. He fished his phone out of his back pocket, contemplating on calling his friends or not.

No, Adam thought, sliding his phone back in his pocket, they have enough going on in their lives.

Adam got up, slowly opening the door with a creak. Silence had fallen upon the house. He could hear every step he took echoing through the halls.

Adam passed his father's office. The door was slightly ajar. He could see his father, head in his hands, sitting at the large desk by the window.

Adam walked by without a word.

He knew his mother was upstairs, probably sulking or tracing the lines on her face. Maybe she was taking a drink from her secret stash.

Adam opened the bathroom closet. He reached behind boxes of toothbrushes (all nabbed from hotels), bottles of mouthwash, and tubes of lotion on the top shelf. He felt his fingers touch the smooth, glass surface of a bottle.

Pulling the bottle from the shelf, he crept slowly and quietly to his room, closing the door shut.

[ BEEP BEEP alcohol warning !! ]

Adam let the liquid burn the back of his throat as he took a sip. Then another. And another. And another.

He felt the alcohol flow into his system, fogging his mind and slowing his thoughts. He felt his pain numb, and his soul slowly mend itself back into poorly taped pieces of broken bits.

Adam sunk against a wall, drawing his knees to his chest as the world blurred into a mess of indistinguishable shapes and colors.

The bottle lay on its side, just within reach of his searching fingers. He lifted it up, and took another gulp.

His phone lay untouched and undisturbed in his pocket. He felt it buzz as it notified him of a text message. His fingers slipped and fumbled as Adam tried in vain to take out his phone.

Adam gave up. His eyes were too unfocused, too much under the influence of alcohol to actually read the message. He let his eyes close.

His head rolled to the side as his eyes landed on the bottle once again.

Adam took another gulp. Soon, he had downed the whole bottle, and with it, his problems vanished. His constant distraction of his parent's fights and arguments disappeared.

He was in ignorant bliss. He was floating. He was in a dream.

If only dreams could last forever.

[ sorry- short chapter. i'm working on a surprise for you all, so chapters may be a bit delayed. ]