Chapter 9

[ good luck for anyone currently going through exams/testing week !! mine's next week eek >_< ]

"ADAM?"

Adam cleared his throat. "Hey, Alesa. I was wondering if-"

A crash sounded from the other line. "Adam, I'm really sorry, but I have to go, okay? I'll call you back later, I promise."

"Alesa, wait-"

The line went dead.

Adam threw himself on his bed in frustration. He flipped onto his back, closing his eyes.

His parents had fought again. It was worse than the last time. Things were thrown, words were said, hearts were broken into a million more pieces.

He sighed, lifting his phone in front of his face and dialing a number that he knew he could rely on. Adam held his phone next to his ear, letting it ring as he waited for them to pick up.

[ crabapple sauce dialogue ahead. phone calls aren't really my thing but i did it for the content ;) ]

"Hello?"

Adam grinned. "Hey, Jess."

Adam heard an elated gasp through his phone. "Adam! Hi!"

"Adam?" he heard a familiar voice ask from Jess's end.

"Is Laurence there?" Adam asked Jess.

"Yeah. Wait, let me put you on speaker." A pause. "Say 'hi' Laurence."

"Hi, Laurence."

Adam laughed, feeling the cloud above his head dissipate a little. "Why, hello to you, too!"

"So..." Adam's mind wandered until she asked, "what's up?"

"The sky," was Adam's automatic response. "And, I was wondering, could I come over?"

"Oh, um, of course!"

Adam grinned. "Thanks, Jess, Laurence. I'll be right over."

Adam ended the call, dropping his phone back on his bed and staring at the ceiling. His parents, somehow, were managing to act civil to each other in the same building. His father seemed to have retreated to the office, the room in his house where the print, computers, and chargers were set up. His mother seemed to be in the kitchen.

Adam hoped Jess and Laurence would let him stay for dinner.

He put his phone in his jean pocket, heading out his room and down the stairs.

Adam passed his father as the latter exited the office.

"Oh! Adam, son." His father stretched a hand towards him. Adam forced himself not to pull away as his father placed a hand on his shoulder. "I have a meeting tonight, so I won't be able to make it for dinner. I assume your," he narrowed his eyes," mother is making something for the both of you, but if not, since she's so busy, you can go out and buy some takeout. Alright?"

Adam pulled away. "Okay. I'm going to Jess's. Bye, Dad."

He didn't stay to see the flash of hurt in his father's eyes.

When Adam passed by the kitchen, his mother was aggressively mixing together a salad.

He caught a few of her angry, muttered words.

"-overtime-" She stabbed a tomato.

"-good-for-nothing-" A beet was decimated.

"-never comes home!" She threw lettuce into a large salad bowl.

"Mom?" Adam asked tentatively.

She turned around so fast, her face so angry, that Adam backed up, raising his arms over his head in fear that she would throw the large, kitchen knife in her hand at him. His mother relaxed when she saw him. "Oh, Adam, dear, you scared me." She set the knife down.

Adam swallowed. "Yeah, um, sorry about that. I'm headed to Jess's. She, Laurence, and I are going to... um, study!"

His mother frowned. "Oh, okay. I'll be heading back to work, anyways. Salad will be in the fridge if you come back hungry. Spare key is under the plant pot."

"Thanks, Mom," Adam said. He headed out the front door.

As Adam began the long walk to Jess's, he began to contemplate his situation.

Let's see, he thought, looking both ways before crossing the street. It's late November. I have to finish this year of school, then deal with one more until I can move out and get my own place.

He fantasized about year-long sleepovers with his best friends, movie marathons, and escape from his parent's feuds the rest of the way.

***

THE NEXT DAY OF SCHOOL, JESS HAPPILY MADE HER WAY TO HER LOCKER. Humming to herself, she prepared herself for first period, taking out the books she needed and putting away the one's she didn't need.

Swinging her backpack over her shoulder, Jess made her way to Laurence's locker, where she knew her boyfriend would be waiting for her. Making her way through the many students that mingled in the halls, Jess raised her hand to wave to Laurence, whose emerald green eyes were easily discernible.

Jess froze.

A wave of jealousy and suspicion came over her.

Why does it look like Laurence is-

"Hey, Jess!"

Jess was snapped back to reality by a cheerful Adam. "Hey, I never thanked you properly for letting me come over last night. I was-"

Jess ignored Adam (and his crestfallen expression after she ignored him), storming towards the pair standing by her boyfriend's locker.

"Laurence!"

The two jumped, staring at Jess.

Laurence laughed. "H-Hey, babe!"

Jess glared at him. She looked over at a quivering Michi, giving her a falsely sweet smile. "Hi, Michi. May I ask why it looked like my boyfriend was hitting on you?"

"Jess, wait, I can explain-"

She glared at Laurence again. "You can?"

"Yeah, babe." He gave her a brilliant smile. "See, Michi here was just having a cheesy, pick-up line contest with me."

"Oh really?" You want to play this way, we can play this way. Jess turned to Michi. "You kicking his butt?"

Michi bit her lip, before tripping over her words. "Y-Yeah, I'm butting his kick- I-I mean," she cleared her throat, "kicking his butt."

Jess smiled, her fingers aching to clench into fists. "Yeah. You do that. And Laurence..." She gave him a look that plainly meant: I'm watching you.

She turned around, seeing Adam standing behind her. Jess only smiled, a genuine one this time, and walked away in the direction of her first period class.

Calm as she may seem, Jess's mind was full of questions and suspicions. But Aaron's cryptic words to her in science class rang most clearly.

"Are you sure you know your 'boyfriend' as much as you claim to?"