Chapter 17: The Journey DAY 2

Hunter's POV

The petite girl with the brown hair and captivating black eyes that hid a broken soul had captured my heart. I don't know when it happened, or how, but in this moment with her snuggled in my arms, I was happy. The first time I saw her, all I could think of was that she could be a potential life saver. I had known she was strong, though she appeared inconspicuous, and I was proved right when she saved Evelyn's life.

The way she could send my heart beating a million beats an hour frightened me. So,I threw up walls and set a cold front, but the icy demeanour I had instilled vanished whenever I was with her. She brought out the side of me I had buried, and a piece of me I thought would never resurface. Not after Blaize, the girl with the fiery red hair who had crushed my heart. 

Crimson was different than her, in a good way. She was feisty, but blushed easily. She was strong, the strongest out of all of us, but fragile at heart. Her painful past had broken her and made her stronger at the same time. She was effortlessly beautiful, never fussing over her appearance and trying to blend into the sidelines. And her laugh...

I liked her. There was no doubt of that. But the whether my heart was ready to accept another, whether it was capable of love after being trampled and betrayed, was unsure. Could broken people fix each other?

The thought of Z, the ruthless man who had taken away everything she loved and cherished, made my blood boil. I wouldn't let him get to her, I would protect her with my life. The fact that I had been completely useless during our encounter with Cora and her cronies irked me to no end. I had failed her. I would make sure that never happened again. I had endured the pain of the knife , as punishment, knowing well enough that it was foolish. 

She stirred in my arms and cuddled deeper into my arms, shivering slightly. I bring her closer and kiss her forehead, whilst rubbing her back to keep her warm. She sighs soundlessly and drifts off yet again. I feel a small smile creeping onto my face as I watch her sleeping form, knowing well enough that I probably looked like a madman. 

I settle down, relaxing my tense muscles, and wait for sleep to over take me.

-----------

I wake up to a soft voice calling my name. My eyes crack open to see Crimson poking my chest, and asking me to wake up and let her go. I tighten my grip and nuzzle my face in her neck. I feel her neck and face heat up, and I know that she has gone red. I smirk against her skin.

"Five more minutes." I groan.

She chuckles and I feel her shake her head. " Now, Hunter. Evelyn and the others are up already. We have a train to catch remember? We have to eat and I have to heal your back before we leave."  She wriggles in my a ms and I reluctantly let her go. 

I sit up halfway, propping myself up on my elbows, but immediately drop back on the mattress when pain flares in my back. I grunt and Crimson hurries to my side.

" Oh fudge, does it hurt bad? Turn around, let me see."  I comply and lay down on my stomach, turning my face to watch her. I watch her pull up my shirt, a faint blush crawling up her neck, and then gasp. 

She rolls up her sleeves and shakes her arms a few times. " Alright, let's fix you up." She says. 

I watch her in fascination as she heals me. When she is down, I feel perfectly fine, slowly testing out my back. I then turn to Crimson, whose face is beaded with sweat and give her a hug. 

" Thank you. " I say , smiling sincerely.

She also smiles shyly at me. " Thank you too.." she says fingering her necklace and biting her lip.