Chapter 12: The first attack

The light was blinding , the fire from grenade scorching my skin. I think quickly, and call on eyes to activate energy. I feel them burn with power in seconds and I throw my hands up. A force field emerges around the grenade, glowing pale green. It crackles and slowly compresses the explosion. I watch as he orange fire swirls in the force field, hissing and crackling as it fights its restraints. It grows smaller and weaker till it turns into a just a spark of energy, surrounded a pale green orb, and then dissipates.

I huff in relief. That was a close one. I look around to find everyone safe, Lexi is being shielded by Ray . I see Hunter emerge to my side, and put a hand on my shoulder. " Up in the trees. Three of them. At ten, three and seven o clock."

" Lexi.."

" Is in safe hands with Ray. He wont let her get hurt."

I nod hesitantly and scan the treetops for our attackers.

" Your quite the strong one, aren't you?" I turn in the direction of the voice to find a girl with short spiky black hair. She proudly wears a smirk and has numerous piercing in her ears. She is wearing a ripped jeans, and a cropped top that reveals a tattoo on her stomach.It starts at the center of her stomach and jet black tendrils crawl their way to her back.

" Crimson, right?"

I grit my teeth and my fists clench. She had the audacity to act like we were friends when she just tried to kill us.

" Who are you?" I ask through clenched teeth.

" Cora Woods. Nice to kill you."she says , her smirk turning into a devilish smile. She gestures to her other two companions. " Those two bumbling fools who cant even throw a grenade right are Talon and Luke. We are going to send you to meet your makers."

One of them growls at her, clearly agitated. He is hefty, his arms bulging with muscles. His face is abnormally small compared to his body and is filled with scars. His black eyes are over run with an emotion I can only describe as madness. His head is covered tufts of red hair, whick stick out in the most weirdest way.

The other is just the opposite. Pale as a vampire and with black hair, he is as cold as ice. He gives off an aura of evil, his blue eyes twinkling with devious amusement. He wears a simple back shirt over black pants, and I cant help but think of how handsome he looks.

Not as handsome as Hunter.

Why am I comparing people to him? I shake my head of my thoughts just am vampire speaks.

" Stop chatting Cora, and pick who you want." The vampire says coolly. His eyes bore through me, and send unpleasant shivers up my spine.

" Ill take the handsome guy and Crimson." She replies, brushing off his condescending manner." It was her that Z asked to eliminate, but I guess the handsome guy is bonus." Her smile broadens sickeningly, and I feel Hunter stiffen next to me.

They were working for Z.

" Fine then, I will take the ex-dame and the earth wielder. Talon, you get the girl and the redhead."

Hunter tenses for a fight, " There is no way you are going get away with this. We aren't someone you can just pick and eliminate." He states angrily.

Cora smirks." Well well, Mr. Handsome can talk. And what would you're name be? Ray, Hunter or Tyler? I heard from Z that the Hunter guy is in charge. I am assuming it is you.."

" You got that right." Hunter cracks his knuckles." Where is your leader Z?"

Cora jumps from the tree and lands on the ground gracefully. " The only one who will be talking is you, begging and pleading me to spare your life."