Chapter 14: Earth​ and Fire

Ray's POV

I watch as the bulldozer nears us, snarling and baring his disgusting yellow teeth. His red hair stuck up in different sides of his head, looking unwashed and unkept. It was nothing like my silky red hair. His head was a little to small for his bulky body, muscles rippling as he walked.

I push the small figure of Lexi behind me, determined to keep her safe. No doubt that Crimson chick would tear my head off of something happened to her. She wasn't someone I wanted to mess with. Plus, I have the nagging feeling Hunter had a crush on Crimson, only adding to the people who would kill me if something happened to her.

I smirk at the intimidating figure in front of me. " Talon right? You could really use lessons in personal hygiene dude. " I sniff the air in front of me. " You reek."

This seems to enrage the guy, his eyes narrowing down on me.

Lexi pulls on my shirt harshly, signaling me to look at her. " You really should stop making him angry!" She whispers harshly

"Chill Lexi, I got this." I tell her, giving her a reassuring smile.

She doesn't seem convinced, her eyes still clouded with worry. I activate my leg, and I glows bright red. Time to light this guy up.

He notices my leg and charges at me, his right arm glowing brown. Earth.

I stand there coolly, waiting for him to catch up to me.

"Ray.." Lexi calls nervously as he barrels to wards us.

I stand there with a smirk on my face not bothering to respond. He nears us and picks up speed.

" Ray..." Lexi calls again, a little more agitated.

I don't respond. He reaches us with an shout, brings his fist down in our direction.

"Ray!" Lexi shouts, sheltering begin me, her hands covering her eyes.

She slowly realises that the fist never meets us and opens her eyes. His fist is in contact with my foot, its protective rock coat cracking and smouldering.

I hear Lexi gasp and my smirk deepens. He swings his other hand, aiming for the knee. I simply move my leg in it's a way and yet again his fist comes to a halt. I will spheres of fire to pummel him. They shot out from my leg and find their mark.

It's finished. I think confidently. There is no way he can dodge it at such proximity.

But nothing happens.

I smirk falls off my face as my fireballs fizzle out when the come in contact with his skin.

It's​ an understatement to say I'm shocked. What did he just do?

I instantly step away from him and asked the situation. There is no way that my fireballs could've missed him.
" Ray." Lexi calls.
" Not now Lexi. I need to figure out how my attack had no effect on him."
Did he have a barrier around him?
No, I decided. I wouldn't have been able to make contact with his fist if he had a barrier around him. Then what..
" Ray!" She cries
I snapped my head upward and see him above me, bringing his fist down on my head.
I'm finished. There is no way I can dodge this. I am going to die so young! And to think I was sure I would die making a sarcastic comment at the wrong time! I'm sorry Hunter, I messed up big time.
I close my eyes and wait for inevitable death to descend upon me.
But it never comes.
I crack my eyes open to see we are surrounded by an earth barrier. Tyler?
" You zone out at the worst possible times!" A panting voice says behind me.
I turn to find Lexi on her knees and her right hand on the ground, glowing brown.
" You? " I ask genuinely surprised.
" Yes, me. You didn't think I was entirely helpless did you?"
I shrug in response. I wasn't going on admit the fact that I had in fact thought that.
I hear a loud noise and instantly place is as a fist hitting the earth barrier. Bullfozer- excuse me- Talon was pounding his fist against the barrier.
I watch at the corner of my eye as Lexi stations to support the barrier, panting heavily and perspiring.
" Think of something! I can't support the barrier for long.. He's too strong!" Lexi cries in a strained voice.
I crouch down in the floor and asses what I witnessed. The fireballs that I had thrown had no effect. What had he done?
I replay the scene in my head and I realise that he had absorbed them, meaning he had taken the energy.
What had he done with it?
I am interrupted by the resonance of Talon's fist, and it all clicks into place.
" Hurry!" Lexi cries, tears welling up in her eyes due to the sheer strain.
I stand up, an idea forming in my brain.
" When I tell you, drop the barrier." I tell Lexi, who nods slowly, unable to speak.
I steel myself for the rigorous task before me, praying that it would be enough to stop the man.
I stand before the source of the sound and activate my leg.
" Now!" I shout and the barrier drops, Lexi sighing in relief. I face his fist once again and stop it in its path. But this time I got him with sheer fire, every ounce I can muster. It's exits my body and instantaneously he absorbs it.
" That won't work on me, you runt!" his gruff voice roars. " I'll take all of your attacks!"
I grit my teeth. If it's energy he wants it will be energy he gets, tons of it. I put every last drop of power I have to increase the intensity of the attack. With one last guttural scream, the last of my reserve leaves my body and I collapse to the ground.
" Ray!" Lexi screams and makes her way over to me. " Oh my Lords, Ray, you did it! He is nothing but ashes now! You did--" Lexi stops mid sentence, her mouth open in shock and horror.
"W-What is it?" I wheeze out. " W-What's w-wrong?"
Big fat tears escape Lexi's eyes as her hand covers her mouth to control the dogs. I feel panic grow in my chest.
" Ray, your leg..." She starts, obviously filled with horror. ". It's gone!"
My heart's skips a beat, and my stomach lurches. It can't be gone, it just can't.
" What do you mean?" I ask, worry evident in my tone.
Lexi chokes back another sob. " There's - There's nothing below the knee Ray. It's completely gone."
My throat constricts and suddenly I feel like an elephant is standing on my chest. I try to hoist myself up to survey the damage but Lexi pushes me down.
" You don't have to see this. Let me stop the bleeding and bandage it up for you." Her voice is neutral but determined and she had regained her composure.
Tears well up in my eyes and I do nothing to stop them as they slid down my cheek. Normally I would be embarrassed to cry in front of others, but under the given circumstances, I was beyond embarrassment. I watch with blurred vision as Lexi rummaged through her bag, pulls out a first aid kit and bandages my leg. That's when I slowly start to lose consciousness.
" Dang, he's lost too much blood." I hear her whisper. Her head shots up to survey my face, but I had already started slipping into a world of black.
" Ray!" Her voice is nothing more than a mere whisper.
The last thing I feel as the darkness engulfs me is the ground beneath my fingers crack and disappear.
-------------------------------
Heya!
Hope you guys liked that chapter!
Q : Did the ending surprise you? ;)
I also would like to thank everyone who read this book, and gave it a chance. Thanks to you guys, Her Eyes was #196 on Fantasy as of 12 April 2017!
Please tell me what you think!
Vote, comment and Share!
Yours,
Swa_mitsu