XVII

Chapter 17

Adopted?

I opened my mouth to utter the words that I wanted to say but my voice box seems to be malfunctioning, so is my brain.

"Soph you know that's not true. How's that even-"

I wasn't able to hear the next words my that my brother was going to say. Before I know it, someone dragged me out of the crowd and had me walking towards the field where the wind blew across my face as if it was to slap me out of my daze.

"Get it together, Soph." Two strong arms were shaking me as I snap out of my trance.

I looked up to find that familiar dark chocolate haired guy that I once hated.

"What?" I was so lost in his eyes before I managed to let what I just heard sink in.

"How does skipping school sound like?" He offered a cheesy smile.

I didn't know he had this side of him and I was so grateful that he didn't ask me about it.

"Would that be a good idea?" I fiddled with my fingers as I contemplated on my own.

He grabbed my backpack off of my shoulders so quick that my shoulders were grazed by the rough texture. I immediately soothed the slight burn on my shoulders just as I glared at Jace.

"Stop feigning like you're a good girl Soph," He smirked at me as he yanked my wrist in his palm.

Before I could even protest we were running across the field, heading towards the parking lot.

"Just so you know, I still hate you!" I squeaked from the cold breeze that was blowing over my face.

His laughter came in reply, his hands tightening over my wrist "yeah right, Butterfly."

That freaking word, I swear.

Before we could even get out of school, we were welcomed with the sight of our security guard chasing after us.

"What do you punks think you're doing?" He bellowed from the end of the parking lot.

"I told you this was a bad idea!" I whisper yelled for him to hear.

"Nothing's a bad idea with Jace Carter. Trust me, he won't be able to catch us with that crusty bones of his. He wouldn't be able to catch up as long as we run." He sounded so confident that I actually found myself believing his words.

"Cocky asshole, I swear to my mom's ovaries-"

I was suddenly pulled forward, without even realizing it we were running for our lives. I was desperately trying to catch up with his speed and in that moment I thank my long legs for having the ability to keep up with flash.

"You ungrateful punks! Stop right now!"

I looked back to see the security guard running like he was going to pass out in any second.

"Faster!" I wheezed through my harsh breathing.

We finally saw the sight of his car coming close to us, finally his pace slowed down or I would have just laid on the ground.

"Get in, before the asshole catch us." He opened the car door, hands on my shoulder pushing me down for me to enter the front seat.

I don't know if it's just me, but it suddenly felt hot and I'm positive that my cheeks were definitely on fire. If he wasn't in a hurry, I bet he would've used that against me forever.

"How about a trip to the beach?" He suggested something so irrational as soon as he got in.

I looked at him as if he had grown another nose, "are you crazy?"