34. Vampires and Visions

Start from the beginning

   If I accidentally knock it off, will it cut me? I have to risk it. This could be my only chance!

   I bite my lip, sweat trickling down the side of my face as I try to wriggle free from my constraints. My bloody arm hardly moving, practically useless as any strength it had drips away from me. I try not to focus on it, blocking out my pain and weariness as I fight. It seems useless though, my body feeling stiff and cold. The more I struggle, the harder it is for me to breathe.

   I can't give up!

   Even as the thought repeats itself over and over in my head, I find my muscles giving out on me, forcing me to fall back against the table limply.

   "No!" the woman's cry of outrage breaks me out of my despair, forcing me to look up towards where the loud banging is coming from.

   The doors burst open, splinters of wood flying everywhere as they shatter and fall to the side. My ears ring as the crashing echoes around me, silencing my thoughts. My heart leaps into my throat, new tears pricking my eyes as I stare in disbelief.

   "Nereza!" Damon yells, his eyes blazing with determination as he storms through the wreckage.

   I open my mouth to call out to him, but am unable to find my voice. Even without making a sound, his gaze lands directly on me, as if he was being drawn to me. I tremble as my heart takes flight with hope. I can't believe he is here, he came for me!

   He almost looks like an angel sent, the light of the sun illuminating him from behind. Even his dark eyes, filled with his furry looks beautiful to me somehow. His face twists to reveal his sharp fangs, a threat to all who stand between us. His muscles tensing as he takes in the sight before him, looking powerful and strong.

   "Don't just stand there!" The woman screams, snapping her fingers violently.

   In that instant, all hell breaks loose.

   The dead flood into the room, some running in from the back office while others throw themselves through the colorful windows. A scream escapes me as glass rains in, quickly followed by countless rotting bodies, none of them slowing as shards slice through them.

   "We are surrounded!" Stefan's voice barely reaches me through the defining battle cries of the dead.

   They all came! My heart swells for them all, before quickly tightening with dread. They are all in trouble, because of me!

   "Kill them!" she demands, pointing her thin finger at the ones I love. She lets out a cackle even as she is forced to lean against one of the benches to remain standing. I watch as her body seems to tremor, but am distracted as her followers charge forward.

   Damon roars as he rips through the bodies that descend upon him with his bare hands. Not even registering his victims as he smashes in the skull of the once kind pastor. Elena appears by his side, her face distorting with rage as she smashes a pew into pieces. She lifts a long deadly looking piece of wood, not hesitating as she lunges forward with it. She stabs through two skulls, stopping the zombies in their tracks. She tries to pull her make-shift spear free, but is interrupted by decaying fingers that pull her back.

   "Elena!" Zeke cries from out of sight, making my veins run cold with horror.

   I strain to see them, but as more corpses attack soon I can't even make out Damon's outline. There are too many of them, how can they hope to get out of this?

   "No!" I scream, flailing desperately against the ropes, my need to save them overriding my tired body. "Don't hurt them!"

   A few of the bodies still, turning to me with confusion. They sway in their spot, as if unsure whether to continue their assault or if to move towards me.