Twelfth

The cooks whipped me up a quick sandwich that I was utterly grateful for. Apparently I missed lunch, again. I took the sandwich along with an apple up to my room. I sat down at my desk and took a few more bites of my sandwich before I noticed. Where was my letter? I wiped my hands off on my dress and started opening drawers searching for my letter to Koontz. I thought I had left it right on top of the desk. Where was it?

A panicked sinking feelings came to the forefront of my emotions. This was possibly the worst thing that could happen. Okay, maybe that was a little overdramatic, but still, I didn't want anyone except for Koontz to read that letter. It was private. I didn't want anyone to know how I felt about Koontz. Even though I didn't say that I still loved him, it was pretty clear that I still loved him.

Do I still love him? Ugh. Not now. I had to find that letter. I searched all over the room, still mystified as to where it had gone. Letters don't just get up and walk themselves to the post office. There was a soft knock as I was riffling through my nightstand drawer. "Come in."

"Hey, Emmary. Can I talk to you?"

I looked up to see Addeck standing in my door way. Puzzled, I nodded, "Yeah sure."

He took a few steps into my room and stopped at my desk, "What happened?" He gestured to all the drawers being opened and notebooks turned over.

"Oh, I can't find my letter to Koontz."

"Oh, that? I came in here earlier looking for you and saw it. I assumed you were done? I already sent it to the post office."

A huge weight lifted off my shoulders, "Thank God. That is a relief. I thought something had happened to it. Thank you for sending it in for me."

Addeck smiled, "Of course. It should be there by tomorrow morning. If you need anything at all, don't hesitate to ask me."

"Thanks, Addeck."

He turned to leave, "Wasn't there something you had to talk to me about?"

Addeck snapped and faced me again, "You're right, thanks for reminding me. I was going to ask you if Hal has talked to you recently."

I nodded, "Yeah, we spoke earlier today."

He nodded, "Okay, did she seem weird or say anything off or anything like that?"

Besides her mentioning that she had something urgent to tell me? Or the fact that she's in love with some guy who's already married to his perfect match? I shook my head, "No. We just talked about the party last night."

Addeck smiled, "Okay, thanks. I'm just a little concerned for her. You know, being her big brother and all, just want to make sure she's okay."

I nodded, "She seems happy to me."

He gave me a swift nod as he turned, "That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks, Emmary." He turned to leave and I stopped him again.

"Do you know if there has been any new leads on my attacker?"

Addeck frowned, "No, they said they can't do much if you don't have a description of the guy. Unless you've remembered?"

I took a deep breath, "Um, yes, actually."

"Really?" He stuck his hands in his pocket, "What did he look like?"

I licked my lips. "Well, I'm pretty sure that it was one of the guards that brought me here. His name was Captain Pike."

Addeck gave a small smile, "I'm sorry, Emmary, but I highly doubt it was him. He is a highly valued member of our staff. You must have gotten him confused with someone else. He has one of those faces, you know?"