“Harry, I’m alright. You don’t need to worry about me so much,” I tell him. He shakes his head.

“I almost lost you. You could’ve…you could’ve died. I saw the car hit you and I...I panicked…I-“

“Shh,” I cut him off. He was getting upset all over again. I had never witnessed him like this before. “It’s okay. I’m okay. There’s nothing to worry about anymore, alright?”

He looks at me for a long moment with an almost pained expression in his eyes. What he said next I was never anticipating.

“I can’t do this anymore.”

 “What do you mean?” I ask, masking the heartbreak that sentence had just inflicted.

“I can’t keep pretending like you’re a stranger to me. I can’t…I can’t avoid you anymore.”

I wasn’t sure how to reply to this, so I just let him continue.

“I love you more than I’ve loved anyone else before in my life, and I want things to go back to normal. I want us to live together. And I want to be able to tell whoever the hell I want that you’re mine, but I know none of that can happen again-“

“I understand,” I tell him, now tearing up myself. He looked like he was in pain. Physically and emotionally wounded. And it was all my fault. “I’ve ruined everything between us, and I’m so sorry about that, but we don’t need to go through this again.”

“You didn’t let me finish,” he says. So I sit quietly and wait for him to continue. “I’ve never really been one to believe in second chances.”

I did not like where this was leading.

“But I realized today, that’s what relationships are all about,” he continues. “As screwed up as this may sound, I still trust you.”

That one came as a huge shock to me.

“And I blame myself for what happened.”

I could not actually believe what I was hearing.

“Clearly you would not have been motivated to cheat if I had been there, and if I hadn’t up and left without notice then things would still be the same between us. So yes, it was wrong, but it’s because of me if you think about it.”

“Harry,” I interrupt. “That’s ridiculous. You don’t need to-“

“I’m still not done,” he reminds. I sigh and keep listening. “It’s not right of me to hold this against you and pretend like I played no part in it all. I’m sorry. And if you’ll still have me, I’d like to give this whole second chance thing a try.”

I was speechless. Completely and utterly speechless.