Chapter 23

The next week I try to always be with one of the men. I was still nervous being alone, but to everyone else I was just spending more time on dates. Practically killing three birds with one stone. Ensuring my mind was at ease with my safety, getting to be around them all one on one, and having them help me with work as a test.

Flynn was proving to be the smartest, due to his previous work with accounting and book keeping. He made budgets far less difficult. Xander of course helped write correspondence letters to other country leaders. I had even forgiven him for not telling me about Dawson. This proved I loved him. Only my trust still wasn't strong.

I knew that I was still using a couple of the boys. I loved all six of them, but there were those I knew stood little chance at owning my heart and one day being king. But things were so pleasant now. All the boys seemed to be getting along, and my parents were spending more time around them now. Even though I was stressed about the decision I would soon face, my mind was calm around them all. I could simply be me.

But on top of my own feelings and timeline, the people were getting bored. According to my father's advisers, I had to make a decision before the New Year. Just over a month and a half. How was I to sort through the six final, amazing men and have a full faith in the one I choose in that time?

It was time to stop putting it off. This was it.

I walk out of my father's office, heading downstairs to the Men's Room. As I begin down the short hallway though I hear yelling. Immediately I recognize Xander's voice, then Flynn's. Speeding up slightly, I forget that ladies aren't supposed to go into the room without permission, and hurry through the open door. I'm filled with surprise when I see all six guys standing around the tension could be cut with a knife even though they seem to be acting as if nothing is wrong.

"I heard yelling," I tell them. Flynn's words then run through my mind again. "You don't deserve her." "What is going on?"

A few of them share a look before Owen speaks. "Someone in this room has been lying to you. A letter was dropped revealing this and we seem to ll be pointing fingers trying to tell whose it is."

"And what is in this letter that shows one of you is lying?" I ask hesitantly. If someone else had a girl back home my heart would shatter.

"Here," Jesse says quietly as he hands some papers to me. I glance over the words and easily find what the fuss is about.

This secret has changed who you are, but hopefully not hindered your chances to become king. We are all proud of you for being in it still. We hope you find your way to the throne without being uncovered.

"Who?" I ask. After a moment of silence I raise my voice. "Who?"

"I found the letter by the chair Own had just moved from," Xander tells me. My eyes fly to Owen in shock and hurt.

"I swear it's not me," Owen tells me. "I had only sat in the chair for a moment to talk to Flynn. I didn't have anything in my hands then because I left it at the piano. But Jesse sat there before me." My gaze shifts again and I await an explination.

"I have nothing to hide from you Selene; you know everything about me. More than anyone else. It's not mine, but I think it's Rowan's."

And so they all blame each other and swear it isn't theirs. Except for Lukas. I hardly notice his lack of words but for some reason my eyes meet his and I know I need to hear him speak.

"Lukas," I say, making the others stop arguing again. "Can I speak with you in the hall please?" He nods and follows me to the door, shutting it behind us. "It's yours, isn't it?"

"It's not what it look like, I promise that," he says quietly. "I was going to come clean about everything after Zak left, but I've been so scared."

"And I'm scared that the person I have been falling for isn't even who you are."

"My parents were killed when I was three," he tells me and I wonder where this is going. "I don't know how or why, but I was taken in by a group of Northern Rebels. That is how I knew Brooks, Vance, and Zak when we got here. I have grownup around them at various meetings."

"So you are just here for the crown?" I ask.

"That's what it was in the beginning. I knew I had to try and give back to those who had raised me. Getting the crown would give me a say in our country's future. Then I was getting to know you and I still wanted to win, but I wanted to because I know I care for you. I don't want you to judge me for not having parents and being raised by several different people." He reaches for my hand and I want to pull away but I don't/ "If you send me home for holding out the truth so long, I can handle it. But I can't handle if it is because who raised me. And know I do really care for you."

"I love you Lukas, I really truly do."

"And I love you," he says quickly.

"But I don't think that's enough now. I don't know if I can trust you. If you became king, how can I know that all you decisions aren't being made by someone else?"

"I'm sorry, Selene."

"So am I, but this is goodbye." He leans in and kisses my cheek before walking down the hall, leaving me with the final five.