Chapter 19

Taking dinner in my room that night, I force myself to not worry so much. I had become physically ill after Zak left, spending almost an hour leaned over the toilet, emptying the contents of my stomach.

My face is swollen and bruised when I look in the mirror. Popped blood vessels cover my cheeks and neck. I hadn't looked this bad even after Gran died last week. I couldn't place all the blame on Zak though; Xander was my breaking point.

I sent for him quickly, hoping to get answers. I kept telling myself that Zak was lying, Xander loved me. But it was haunting me even hours later.

Xander walks into my room with his usual smile plastered on his face, until he sees my blank stare. Slowly he approaches me and sits beside me on the couch.

"You wanted to see me?" he asks hesitantly.

"What games are you playing?" Confusion crosses his face, but I can't let my guard down yet. "Zak claims you are playing some sort of game with the Selection, with me."

"I was going to tell you, I swear," he rushes out. It seemed like he knew exactly what Zak meant.

"Tell me what?"

"About Dawson and the letters."

"You knew?" I exclaim, jumping to my feet.

"I was going to tell you, I just didn't know how."

"Stealing the letters and giving them to me would have been better than not telling me. At least Zak did that."

"You're defending him now?" he asks baffled.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I shout back. "You're supposed to be on my side, be honest with me, protect me, but you betrayed me!"

"No, Selene, listen."

"Get out of my room," I tell him quietly. I couldn't send him home now; two eliminations in one day wasn't a good look for the Elite. "Enjoy your week, it will be your last in my presence."

"You know what Zak is, this is exactly what he wants. I can't believe you are listening to him," he says quietly, rising to his feet. "I love you Selene."

"Go!" I scream, my heart breaking in a million pieces. He turns his back on me, moving to the door, and I fall to my knees. The tears fill my eyes but I do see Xander running his hands through his hair as he walks out the door and Olivia runs in. "I'm going to be sick."

So she helps me to the bathroom, but I can't escape the crack in my chest.

I squeeze my eyes shut tighter at the thought, along with the sound of my door opening. Olivia had taken back my dinner tray and was bringing me more tea, but even though she had been beside me the whole way I still hated her seeing me like this. I avoid my image in the mirror as I look to see Olivia, although I see someone else with her.

"Owen scared me when I was going to the kitchen and I bumped my arm. He told me he knew how to prevent and get rid of bruises. I thought he could help both of us, "Olivia reveals, "If you let him."

"You really know how to do that?" I ask, keeping my head down. I looked so awful, Owen shouldn't see me like this.

"Cuts, bruises, burns, I can speed up the healing of them all," Owen says quietly.

"May I ask how?" Had Owen previously been a doctor instead of a musician I wouldn't have questioned it.

Olivia walks to the bathroom and Owen finally speaks. "Remember how I spoke of the poor relationship with my father?" I nod, fearing where this was going. "He used to physically punish me when I was learning my instruments, then later just because. My mother taught me how to heal everything, but mostly bruises."

"Owen, I'm so sorry."

"No, I am. But no one will ever know once I help."

He explains everything he is doing as he is doing it so I can learn. I allow him to do all parts of the process, even touching my face. The mask he covers mt face in makes me look even more ridiculous as I wait. Owen then decides to put the remainder of it on his face so we both have white goo covering us. His stories and laughter brighten my mood and he never asks what the cause of my current state was. I am glad, because I would rather just forget Zak and Xander.

"You can probably wash your face now," he tells me after almost two hours. "If there is still bruising you can do this again in the morning."

"But our masks are so cute," I joke. I stand up and hold out my hand to Owen. He takes it and follows me to the bathroom where we wash our faces. I'm nervous to see my face, but when I look in the mirror it is as if nothing ever happened. I am no longer covered in purple and red blotches. All thanks to Owen. He pats his face dry and as soon as he puts the towel down I wrap my arms around him. "Thank you so much. I couldn't have shown my face for days."

"Are you kidding? I got to spend hours with you. I hate what happened to you, but I was more than glad to help."

I peek out of the bathroom and see Olivia cleaning up our mess. "Liv, go get a bottle of champagne and some glasses; we must celebrate." She nods and smiles to me before leaving my room. Once the door shuts I look back at Owen and kiss him.

His arms wrap around my waist and my fingers tangle through his hair. I wanted, no, I needed to be as close to him as possible. Ever since the beginning he was the one who noticed my mood changes and worked to make me happy again. It was obvious he cared, he was there for me, he opened up about himself. He was all I wanted from the Selection, because I cared for him as he cared for me.

I pull back slightly and look into his deep amber eyes, so sure of my confession. "I love you."

"I love you," he sighs. He rests his forehead on mine and I smile. The words sounded so perfect coming from his mouth. It may have been the only sound more beautiful than the songs he played on the piano.