Chapter 10

Olivia wakes me, but my dreams are too nice. But it wasn't a dream. I mumble into a pillow before sitting up with a smile.

"Someone had a good night," she comments as she goes to start my bath. "How is Sir Rowan?"

"Wonderful."

"I hate to bring you from your day dreams, but your grandparents will be here after breakfast. We need to get you ready for the day ahead."

"Of course," I say with a sigh. "I'll wear the purple sundress they gave me at Christmas."

Usually when I arrived at breakfast in a dress as simple as this one the agenda for the day was uneventful, but today had to be perfect. For Grandma, there would never be another visit after several months. I knew my parents didn't want me to waste my time, but today belonged to Grandma.

As I look down the table at breakfast my eyes linger on Rowan. Would my grandparents like him? Did my parents? He seems to be deep in conversation with Lukas, so I don't try to gain his attention. The dining hall doors open and everyone looks up. Weston practically jumps out of his seat when the guard announces the arrival. He and my parents leave me to address the boys.

"My grandparents are here to stay for some time, so if I am not around much today, pardon me," I say with a smile. "I haven't seen them since the New Year."

They all smile and nod at me, completely understanding. If they knew of my Grandma's condition they might even be more so. I leave the dining hall and rush to the foyer where I can hear everyone talking.

My grandpa is the first to notice me. "Selene! You look so lovely." I thank him and give him a hug before turning to my gran.

"He's right, you look so grown up," she says with a hug. "How are you keeping the boys in line?"

"With the threat of a beating if they harm our little girl," my dad says and we all laugh.

"Can I help you up to your room? Have you eaten yet?" Weston asks holding his arm out to Grandma.

"I may be dying, but I still want to live," she says simply and we all freeze. We didn't want to acknowledge it. I had tried not to notice the weight she already had lost. But here she was accepting and vocalizing it. "Now that that is out of the way, I want to meet all the boys!"

I had promised to do whatever to make her happy, so I instruct for her to follow me. She can't remember any names and keeps talking of "the blue eyed one" so I can't tell who exactly is her favorite. They are all just leaving the dining hall when we walk up. Of course they all then stop and bow to us.

"My grandmother wanted to meet all of you, so here they are; and gentlemen, this is my grandma Miss Beth Adams," again they all bow and she laughs.

"You can simply call me Beth, but I am sorry to tell you I am already married, so focus on Selene." Now it is everyone else's turn to laugh. "Let's all have tea in the garden later, yes?"

"That sounds wonderful, Gran."

"They adore her," my grandpa says walking up to me. She was telling stories about when I was younger and everyone seemed captivated. The chorus of laughter warms my heart more than anything. I didn't care if they all now knew my embarrassing stories, I hoped most would share their own with me anyway.

"How are you handling this?" I ask. "I know how much you love each other. You've been together for so long, and through so much."

"Letting our sadness overpower us won't change the inevitable. How are you handling the boys?"

"I feel like I could name the Elite now, that's top ten," I remind him. It had been some time since my mom was in her Selection. "But I also don't want to rush any cuts. I worry I will send someone home before we have a chance to truly connect."

"You won't. What is meant to be will be. Gran likes the one from Tammins, but so far I think that Owen would treat you best."

"Do you two have a bet?" I ask with fake accusation.

"No, but Weston tried to bet me."

I want to laugh, but the idea that some people have real bets on who I will fall in love with is upsetting. Could I never be free? Zak looks my way and waves across the garden, I wave back and he stands, beginning to walk towards me.

"Oh boy, I'll let you be," Grandpa says. I laugh as he walks towards the others, then I smile at Zak.

"Good afternoon, Sir Zak," I say as he bows to me. "I hope she isn't revealing too many embarrassing tales to all of you.

"Only a few," he tells me. "She is mostly talking about the Queen and the last Selection. It's nice to know that even she was one of us once. Being reminded of that helps."

I think of this and wonder why my mother hadn't tried talking to them before. Her words would make most sense. Different times and slightly different circumstances of course, but she was one of few who would be able to give true advice. She had been in their shoes once.

"Sometimes it can be forgotten that your family is human. Behind the titles and manners you guys are like us," he says then smiles. "Knowing you still have a collection of stuffed animals makes that even more true."

"She didn't," I say mortified. "I am so embarrassed now. I can't even look at you."

"I'll forget that I know it."

"I hope you can, because I am ashamed." I think of the scores of stuffed animals scattered around the palace. It wasn't like I kept them all in my room. At least, not anymore.

"No reason to be. You are still our beloved Princess and I have nothing but respect for you."

"Fascinating," I say quietly. "You are a wonderful liar."

"I'm actually a great liar, but that isn't one. If you knew me better you could maybe see that." I smiles at him, thinking of the offer.

"You're from a family of restaurant owners, correct?"

"Indeed," he says skeptically.

"Meet me in the dining hall thirty minutes early before dinner tonight," I tell him. This was something I had considered for a while.

Zak's laughter echoes through the kitchen and warms my heart. I knew he was laughing at me, but there was nothing mean about it.

"Preparing to run the country, yet struggling to make dessert. I'm not sure what to think."

"I've never cooked before-ever."

"Understandable," he says with a smile. "At least I was here to help you along the way."

"I will be forever grateful," I joke.

He takes a bite of the cheesecake we had made and sighs. I do the same, knowing it only turned out well on his account. Watching him as he worked was similar to watching Owen play the piano and hearing Rowan talk about his animals. It was amazing to know these guys were all so passionate about what they did. I needed someone who could have a passion for our country and running it. I wanted someone with a passion for me. 

"Cooking isn't necessary for you job, so I can't hold this against you."

"You're far too kind," I tease. I loved how the boys and I could all joke around with each other. I just wished I could be serious with them all as well; this was where the next cuts would be made.