Chapter 22

Rex releases his hold on my neck and I collapse on the floor, gasping for air. How was I alive? The shouting becomes more clear and I open my eyes as someone grabs my hand. I hear the obvious struggle happening not far away, but all I can focus on is Xander.

"Are you alright?" he asks and I slowly nod in response.

The yelling fades and I look past Xander to see two guards carrying a body- the man who almost killed me- out of my room. I also see five worried faces trained on me. Rowan, Flynn, Lukas, Owen, and Jesse come closer and try to help me, but they all end up sitting around me. They tell me how the rebels had gotten in and destroyed the alarm system, yet they all made it to the saferoom.

"We were only there for five minutes when we worried about you," Lukas tells me.

"Your mom was crying hysterically and we told your dad we'd risk our lives for you. He had to stay to calm the queen but we all came back up to find you," Owen explains.

"Zak didn't clearly though," Flynn mumbles.

"We're just glad we got here in time," Rowan says. Everyone nods in agreement, tears filling a few eyes. Mine finally overflow as tears stream down my face and I realize how lucky I was. One second later and I would have been dead.

"Thank you, all of you," I finally squeak out. my throat hurts and so does my ankle, but my happiness over being alive pushes the pain away.

"We all care deeply for you Selene," Lukas says. "We would do anything for you."

I know it is one hundred percent true, and I wrap my arms around Lukas, feeling a new bond between us. When I pull away I hug all of the others as well.Jesse still looks terrified but the others have mostly composed themselves. The door to my room opens again and I finally look around at the damage. Aside from the small bit of blood on the floor, furniture is over turned, and pictures torn off the walls. Both my parents run towards me and Owen helps me to stand to hug them.

Weston joins our family hug and once we all have finished crying my dad speaks. "I know I could never thank you all enough for finding my daughter, but I would like to try. My wife and I have tried to stay out of Selene's Selection thus far, and therefor haven't spent time getting to know you personally. If you allow, I ask that we use the rest of the night doing that."

"It is very late already, we may as well see if the kitchen has desserts we could take," my mom adds.

I know I won't be able to sleep until my room is cleared, and probably not until the rest of the palace is. I look at all the guys and know that spending more time with them will help me overcome this. But first, there was something I needed to do.

Right before everyone leaves my room, I give the excuse that I need to change. Flynn says he will wait for me in the hall and I rush to get a new dress. I cringe when I step into my closet but know that Fear can't control me. As soon as my new dress is on, Olivia runs into the room. She hugs me and speaks quickly while I promise her I'm okay.

"You already have bruises forming, do you need me to use Owen's mask?" she asks.

Glancing in the mirror for the first time I take in how broken I look. "No," I say touching the prints on my neck. "I was almost strangled and I survived. I don't need to hide that."

"Is there anything I can do?" she asks.

"Two things, deliver a letter and join us for desserts," I tell her. She smiles and nods as I reach for a pen and paper. Quickly, I scribble a few words.

Your lack of devotion to me shows once again how little you care for the girl under the crown. Good luck in life; you are no longer in the Selection.

Princess Selene Ellington.

And on the front in my neatest handwriting is the name Zak Trent.

"Finally?" Olivia asks as I hand it to her.

"Finally," I tell her with a nod. "Meet us in the second floor east parlor when you can.

As I exit my room I am thankful to see Flynn, even more so when he takes my hand. The comfort puts my mind at ease. Then I know that no matter what happens, I would be safe. In the arms of any of the now six remaining men, my life would be well and happy. And that would make it all the more difficult.

I have only just joined into conversation when the parlor door slams open. I jump and Xander puts an arm around me protectively. My breathing becomes labored as I flashback to what happened just over an hour ago. The sound of the angry boy turns my fear into irritation. Zak shouts as he walks across the room toward me. I look up at him right as he stops beside me, the only sound is now his deep breaths. His yelling must be over but I hadn't heard a word he said, Olivia rushes in with a worried look on her face, but it isn't her fault.

"You're a damn idiot," Zak says to me. "Are you really so dumb that you can't speak?"

"I am only worried you won't understand me because I don't speak your native language which is clearly asshole," I say and he looks as surprised as the collective gasp from everyone else. "You have no reason being here; you have been rude for so long, and manipulated the people of Columbia to keep you here. I could have you imprisoned for treason, but I am simply sending you home. Don't give me a chance to change my mind."

I'm even shocked at my words, but no one breaks the silence that follows. With the wave of my hand I dismiss Zak. When he opens his mouth to speak again my father stands. "Go," he tells him. "Or I will send you to jail."

Slowly, Zak removes himself from the room, and my life, lifting a giant weight off my shoulders. But life still wouldn't be easy.