Chapter 14

Benson laughs as the performers circle around him, chanting "Happy Birthday" in various ways. I give him a thumbs up before they pick him up, adding to the dance. Everyone claps and joins in on the song. The energy was amazing. A sense of pride fills me as I once again realize I had planned this. The look of joy on my mother's face adds to that. She was the best party planner, and she approved of this. I wanted to celebrate everyone's birthday, but most boys hadn't revealed theirs, so when I found out, all I could give was a simple gift. Benson was loving every minute of this, which made it that much better. The next party would be for my own birthday- I couldn't wait.

"Princess! Thank you." Benson shouts from atop the performers. I nod in acknowledgment, glad we could all forget this was a competition for a while.

My father hurries into the room and once I see him coming my way I am thrilled. I wondered when he would make an appearance. Although, his expression becomes clear and my heart drops. Something is wrong.

"What is it?"

"We must leave, soon."

"Why? What's wrong?" I ask as his eyes dart around the room.

"Columbia needs calming; you and I must make an appearance to regain the people's trust. Mayor Sparks needs help and we agree this is the way. Carly was sent to begin packing for you. Now go. I must speak with your mother."

"But the party."

"Will continue. The boys will find out soon. Hurry Selene, we cannot waste any time."

I feel sick for departing without talking to the boys. It didn't seem fair at all. Olivia kept insisting that she go along but I assure her I can take care of myself. That and I wanted her safe here with Weston. I didn't know the degree of unrest, but she needed to be same. For Weston.

The plane ride is filled with my father and a few advisers trying to explain everything. Lower castes threatening the higher ones, riots, feelings that the monarchy doesn't care. How could they think that? We were driving ourselves insane keeping things safe for them. Both my parents seemed aged past their years because of constant pressure and work that was forced on them. The rebels that hurt them hurt us too. But they didn't know that.

As the plane lands and I brace myself for what we now have to do, I think of what the boys are doing, and I find myself wishing one of them was by my side.

This was not my issue, but it was quickly becoming so. The problems in Columbia stretched back years, to my father's Selection. Their distrust of the monarchy stemmed from him sending their girl home and choosing my mother. Petty problems fueled by poor excuses. Many people here had chosen not to enter their sons as a slap to us. I remember it being mentioned that one province had far less entries. This shouldn't have been sitting on my shoulders.     

Mayor Sparks put an awful thought in my father's head, one I knew would not surface until later. My father wasn't so desperate yet. He still loved me more than his country. Either way, I knew it was my duty to help reduce the problem. I didn't know how to get rid of all the problems, but I could work to not add to it.

I feel like I have a new perspective on the Selection when we land back in Angeles, despite lingering worries. This seemed easy now, but I didn't know it wasn't to last.

The short wait in my room seems to drag on. Carly was fast, but I still had nerves building in anticipation. I'm pacing across my room when my door opens. I turn and see Xander coming in before Carly shuts the door again.

"Is everything alright?" he asks and I rush to embrace him. I only plan to hug him, but suddenly my lips are on his and his arms are holding me tight to him. I lace my fingers in his hair, wanting this moment to last forever. My remaining worries take a backseat. All that I can think about is how glad I am to have Xander kissing me. There is nothing else. Until he pulls away.

"Not that I'm complaining, but it there a reason you attacked my face after disappearing for three days?"

"I missed you," I say kissing him again. "And I have news I wanted to tell you."

"I'm guessing it's not that I am going home." I playfully smack him on the arm and he smiles.

"The Elite will be made tonight after The Report, there will be nine instead of ten, but you are the first. You just can't tell anyone."

"Why tell me like this?"

"Because I missed you. When I was away, I saw so many things that reminded me of you. I knew I had to see you immediately when I got back."

"I missed you too," he says before kissing me again. "Don't leave please."

Shaking off the embarrassment of The Report, I prepare for sadness. The world just learned I've kissed five boys, and I was going to add to the hurt of five I had not. This is the right thing to do, I remind myself. Starting with the easiest choice, I walk to Benson's room. Strange how I had spent weeks planning his party only to send him home days later.

Looking the part and being smart was not enough anymore. When I left, I wasn't even thinking how it affected his birthday. He had faded to the back, and he took his departure quietly. True to his personality.

Harrison immediately shuts down. I had realized he had never truly opened up to me. The Elite was a big enough gamble without adding him. As I said my final goodbye, I saw tears in his eyes. It was going to get worse.

Ainsley forced a smile as I explained everything, but was close to breaking as I turned to leave. Brooks gave me a final poem. He had seen this coming and revealed he was going to use the happy memories we had to write poems to publish. I hoped everyone would use the experience positively.

The final goodbye brings pain before I even enter the room. Under different circumstances, Chandler may have been the one to steal my heart and the crown. "I'm sorry," I whisper to keep the tears in my eyes. It only brings him to hug me tightly. "I tried, I really did. I thought of any way to get past it, but we both know this isn't possible."

"I think I knew that from the start," he says quietly. "This is more than love, and I could never succeed in the job. You had every right to kick me out when you learned of my problem, yet you gave me as much of a chance as you could."

"I care about you, I do. I don't want you to lose your caste. You need to keep this a secret."

"I know Princess, I'll be safe."

"If you ever need anything, I'll answer your letters."

"And if budgets ever become too difficult, I can be of assistance."