Chapter 2

Despite my curiosity, I follow rules and act like a proper princess when the boys begin arriving. I wasn't to meet with any of them until the second day, so leaving my room was almost impossible. When going to meals I had to be sure I wouldn't accidentally run into them. I enjoyed dinner more than I had in a while, knowing it was the last I would have with only my parents. Weston had gone ahead with his plan and placed himself into the activities of the Selected.
Going back to my room that night all my maids could talk about were the boys. They had snuck in to see them while they were getting makeovers and were already picking favorites. I couldn't wait for my own chances to do so.
The morning comes fast and before I know it I'm in my favorite long sleeve pale dress, heading down to the grand room for our first meetings. I take a deep breath and nod to the guards. They open the door and the room almost instantly goes silent. Then there is a chorus of chairs scooting away from the tables and "Your Highness," as thirty-five men bow to me. I can't help but smile before addressing them.
"Gentlemen, welcome to the palace. I'm so glad you are all here and I can't wait to get to know you all," I glance around at all their faces and my heart seems to grow just seeing them. "We shall get the chance to grow acquainted and as you are instructed over know that you each get just three minutes with me this morning. I know it's not much, but we don't have all day, and there are so many of you."
Once again I scan the room, recalling every name that I had burned in my memory. Finally I see who I'm looking for. "We will go in alphabetical order, so Aden Kean, you are first."
I take a seat on the edge of the couch on the far side of the room. I watch as Aden makes his way to me, pleased when he bows again.
"It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Your Highness," he says before taking a seat beside me.
"The same for you," I say knowing time is already ticking away. "I understand you are a 3, what do you do for work?"
"Before this I was on my way to becoming a teacher. Both my parents are teachers and I've never wanted to be anything else."
"Interesting, tell me more about your family," I say. But before I know it time is up.
Ainsley Troy and Anderson Phoenix - both 2s- follow. A model and pop star respectively. They are followed by two 4s, Benson Oliver and Blair Lennon- a farmer and hotel owner. Brooks Wallace a 3 catches my attention by reading a poem he wrote for me. Chandler Green, 4, is yet another farmer, and Cullen Russ, 2, is the actor.
Finally I get to meet Dawson Charles,4. He planned to take over his fathers' boating business, but loves sports and music. "My hobbies could send me into a better or worst caste," he jokes. "I'm just glad I wasn't moved up for the Draft like my brother though."
Elliot Finn and Emmett Miles are both 5s, both artists, and both honestly bore me.
Flynn William a 6, caught my eye with his towering height and beautiful blue eyes. Greyson Ezra another 6 had one of the brightest smiles, and promised to teach me Italian- and I pretended I didn't already know the language.
Harrison Alexandar and Holden Dean are oddly shy for 3s, but I don't hold it against them. Isaac Gage, 4 and Jai Tyler, 5, blend together and I struggle to remember which was the dancer and which was the chef.
Again I perk up as Jesse Rambo comes to me. As he bends in a bow, he lifts my hand to his lips, kissing it gently. Not all the boys had done that, and I comment on this.
"I'm glad I did then. My little sister told me I had to."
"How old is she?"
"Eleven," he laughs. "She looks up to you so much."
After Kenton Lex,3 a future music producer, I am halfway done. I give my self a five minute break and walk across the room to get a glass of water. The boys quietly talk but I know their eyes are all trained on me. I felt adored more than ever before.
I'm glad that the next boy, Lukas Bodie 4, is interesting, along with attractive. Maddox Ira, 5, admits that he has ten siblings, and he is the seventh. O'Rion Nik is a 3, son of a doctor, an Owen Potter- despite his tough look- is one of the kindest boys, a 5 who is a classically trained musician. Paxton Jock 2, is of course the son of Peyton Jock a professional football player. Reed Dara is another 5 artist and he promises to give me a painting when he gets the chance.
Rowan Bell captures my heart the minute he reveals he is a 3, and a veterinarian. "I love animals, I want to open a shelter at some point. I'm forcing my family to save some of the funds they are getting for that."
"Wouldn't that make you a business owner, a 4?" I ask.
"Not if I continue veterinary practice in the shelter," he says with a smile. A very smart boy indeed.
Ross Soren a 2 was clearly one of my father's choices. He had to mention that his father was a successful politician with connections in Italy and Swendway. Spencer Judd was clearly another choice of my father's. Although he was a 4, he had "many big connections."
Theon Randall another 4, told me he was the youngest in the competition by two months. This made him less than a year older than me. Trenton Scott, 5, makes me giggle when he leaves as he shows me a few dance moves. I feel bad for Vance Parker, the final 6, when he says meeting me was the best part of the competition, just above actually eating good food.
"My family was thrilled to hear they would be paid," he sighs, "but meeting you is so much better than a full stomach."
Wade Dalton and Xander Harris are both gorgeous 3s with a love for books. Zak Trent and Zane Henry, 4 and 3, may be the last two but they are so different. The first being polite and reserved while the second confident as could be.
Weston sits next to me after the last boy, giving a questioning look.
"There are a few I know I have to keep, a few I want gone now, and so many in the middle," I tell him quietly.
"There is one I want gone now. All he talked about was how he'd be the first one to get you undressed."
"What?" I ask appalled. "Tell me who, now."
"Spencer Judd," he says quietly. "A few guys laughed but most told him to shut up and respect you. One of the 6s almost hit him."
"I'm going to hit him, with a trip back home," I joke. But it was no joke.
"I think my time is up Princess, go send some boys home."
I stand once Weston leaves the room, giving up his spy act I suppose.
"It was great to get to know you all," I say with a smile. "It is now time for us to go to the dinning hall for lunch.; except for those of you who I asked to stay. Please do," I smiles as the boys leave, trying to secretly tell them not to worry. And as Spencer Judd passes I grab on to his arm. "Please have a seat as well," I tell him, trying not to explode. He could go back to wherever he came from and undress one of his "connections."