"Another one shot?" a doctor inquired. He had salt and pepper hair, and his light blue eyes were narrowed in concentration. He was already putting on rubber gloves, preparing for surgery it looked like. The medic nodded his head. 

"Poison." The word stung my heart. 

"Please save him." I tried to sound strong, but my voice broke at the end. "Please, he's my mate, please," I begged the doctor. 

It was like I hadn't even said anything as they just kept wheeling him down the hallway. They were probably used to hysterical mates begging for their loved one's lives. Some people in the hospital recognized me, but I wasn't about to feel embarrassed about the publicity when my mate was in critical condition. Anyways, they were too busy caring over their own injuries to stare at the Alpha's daughter. 

We finally reached the preparation room when the doctor finally acknowledged me. "Kiara," he said gently in that perfect, doctor tone. He was trying to break something to me... 

"The poison has started to reach his vitals," he explained slowly, like I was a child. "It might be too much for his body to endure surgery. We will prep him for the surgery and blood transfusion, but in the meantime it might be a good idea to start saying your goodbyes." His eyebrows knitted in concern; he probably had to tell wolves that their mates, their reason for living, was going to die all the time. 

But my heart stopped. I was beginning to see dark spots clouding my vision, but I willed myself to stay conscious. "N-No," I stuttered. "You're going to save him. He- he promised he would fight it!" I was rambling to myself, unable to recognize the fact that Connor would be gone forever. 

I scrambled over to Connor's side, grasping his hand tight once more. "You're going to live through this, you hear me?" I begged him. His face was slightly angled towards me, so I drank in his presence. He was so pale, I could see the thin veins on his closed eyelids. "We're going to go home, and we're going to move your stuff out from the fourth floor, and you'll probably make fun of me for sleeping with socks on every night, but I can't help it that my feet get cold." I was rambling hysterically now. "We're going to go home and train after this, okay baby? I'll train every day of my life if that's what you want," I smoothed my hand down his cheek as tears spilled down my own. 

Suddenly, the doors to the hospital opened with a bang, and the squeaking of footsteps on the shiny floor could be heard down the hall. The preparation room door was slammed open, and my father was there, panting hard. Did he run here? 

"That," he pointed to Connor. I couldn't even see him with all the medical staff prepping him for surgery. "Is my daughter's mate and the future Alpha of this pack." The doctor just stared at him, wide-eyed. He was using his Alpha command voice, causing some of the medics shrink into themselves. "You will save his life, or you will be exiled from this pack." 

"But sir, no wolf has ever survived a poison attack, especially one that-" 

"I don't give a damn about the statistics!" My dad roared. "You will save his life, or I will find a more skilled professional who can. Do I make myself clear?" he all but growled.